Head Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Work

I am working on a new project. 78' GS 750E. Need to freshen up the motor. I have poor compression. I am looking at re-ringing pistons or boring cylinders depending on condition of cylinders. Any advice? What work should I do to the heads? Any other advice is greatly appreciated as I only want to tear it down once.

Re: Head Work

Originally posted by JoCo
    I am working on a new project. 78' GS 750E. Need to freshen up the motor. I have poor compression. I am looking at re-ringing pistons or boring cylinders depending on condition of cylinders. Any advice? What work should I do to the heads? Any other advice is greatly appreciated as I only want to tear it down once.

A solvent test on the valves, to check their seating, and new valve stem seals

Comment

new rings and new bore is a good idea, please dont neglect the valves. If they are not seating right...take care of it now rather than put everything back together like I did...then have to tear apart again.

Comment

While your head is off i would say deffinatly renew the valve seals and seat them, you'll have to check your valve clearence afterwards!!

Comment

Head-job

Yes pull all the valves keeping them in order, clean them up on the wire wheel being careful not to 'clean' them at the stems or the seat. New seals is easy.......& just clean the chambers to a decent 'polish'.
          I did a valve lap just to get the gray line at the seat......all went well & she's holding up fine.
          Rick........

Comment

Working...
          X