Gas Tank interchangeability... GS650E and G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank interchangeability... GS650E and G

Does anyone know if the tank from a 650E will fit a 650G? The E tank looks the same (two point rear mount). Bike Bandit doesn't show the tank for the G.

hey jeckler,
    I would bet money they are the same, I've got a GS50G '81, and the E is just the '82 model if I'm reading things straight. I'm actually looking for a new tank, and would like to put something off an L model for the more cruiser look. I saw you had some parts, wouldn't be a tank in there, eh?

good luck with it, I'll have a post up about my particular problem soon, may get some good pointers

Comment

Actually, the E is the chain driven version of the 650's. You might be thinking of the letter designations for year. '81 is X, '82 is Z, and '83 is D.
      So yours and mine are GS650GX's. To further confuse the issue, you throw in the L model, sometimes referred to as GS650L, others GS650GL. As far as I know, there was no chain driven L.

I do have a tank from an '81 GL. It's rusty inside, just surface rust as far as I can see. I was going to flush it with vinegar and see what comes out (or doesn't, depending on perspective). Thats why I haven't advertised it yet (until now, I guess).

Comment

hmmm.. I've been messing around at the local salvage and found that pretty much only the GS850(G)L tanks even come close. the 750's I found were way too short, and the 550 even moreso. but I could be pulling them off the wrong year, or they might not even be sitting on the original bike! I could be interested in yours if it's like what I've been playing with. The measurements I've been getting on the one that fits are 22" from the outside end of one rear bolt mount to the center of the rubber mount on the front end, and four inches between front mount holders. If you wouldn't mind checking on it, maybe we could make a deal.

How does ebay work as a seller anyway? do they just take a cut of it? or is it a flat rate? either way we could hopefully avoid all that and just agree on a price, my email is (should be) displayed

thanks!!

Comment

or I guess I mean use the personal message do-hickey, doesn't seem to show the email. thanks!!

Comment

I went out and tried to put the GL tank on my G. It fit width-wise, but was about an inch to short to reach the back mounts.

Comment

Do you need a 650G tank? What's wrong with yours?

Comment

The original reason I asked about the E tank fitting my G was that I wanted to get another set of bodywork so I could try some creative painting, without messing up a perfectly good set of body work. There was an E tank on eBay at the time.
                I think Snoebeard just wants a different look.

Comment

well, I need something, but I'm not sure what I'm going with. I got a pinhole rusted thru spot on the tank of my GS650G, as well as some petcock issues--whole other story. When I found the pinhole it wasn't too big so I thought I would drill it out round and put a bolt and something to seal it, but the rust was too bad and it ripped out instead of drilling out... so I have gone with the temp fix and used quiksteel (jbweld) to fill it so I can ride while I think about it...

That said, while I'm buying a tank, I wouldn't mind changing the look. It was a free bike, and my first, so I can't complain, but I do like the cruiser look a bit more. I have fitted the GL tanks, and as Jeckler said they are about one inch too short. I'm pretty sure I can work with that, using a piece of plywood to bolt onto the frame and then the tank to that. the seat on my bike is pretty shot so I need to work on the upholstery anyway, so I could fix the gap that leaves then.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being able to return the bike to stock shape someday either, so maybe I'll just start my tank collection now and deal with it then!! :roll:

I've found I can get a old possibly rusted GL tank at the local salvage for about $50, it needs paint and a good cleaning, but it might work. Otherwise I don't have much in mind. If any of yous want to get rid of one for less than that (and I'm pretty sure shipping would be about 15, so at most 35 for the tank...) just let me know! (and if it's a steal on the G tank it goes to Jeckler as I just hijacked his post for my own gain!!! )

thanks!!!

Comment

I've got a good used G tank. Start bidding.

Comment

Bump

Hiya,
                      I HAD to bump this thread even though it's really old... I have a 650EX and I want a good tank for it. I just bought a NOS 650GX tank, and I'm trying to find the definitive answer to whether or not the two are actually the same/interchangeable.

Ideally, I would like to have a NOS silver 650EX tank, but the one I bought is dark red with red and gold (not yellow) pinstriping. Aside from color being wrong, it is *MINT.* If they are indeed intechangeable, I would entertain finding an excellent painter to make it the way I want it. OR I might sell it if anyone is interested, especially if I can get good solids leads for a 650EX tank in very good to excellent condition.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                      X