Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After martket Grips...??

So here is my problem..

i ride a 82 650G and it has the standard grips....

i'm a big guy with large hands...

so here are the 2 problems...

i seem to continually be shifting my grip on the accelerator to allow more acceleaton and a comftable freeway riding position....

and after extended riding my hand is totally cramping up (which i think is probably related to the first problem)

here's my thought process for a solution....

a larger (circumfrence) grip, this would (i think) reduce my need to shift grip every 2 mins.....

so am i way off base or do you think that might work....??

Mine's the same way Phil. One thing that helps immensely, epecially on the freeway, is a throttle lock. I find I don't have to grab as hard, but can still make small corrections when necessary. I still get some buzzing, but I'm going to try either a bar snake and weighted ends, or gel grips. To lazy to do either though.

If you look at the above link, Jake posted on how to shorten the throw on the throttle. With the CV carbs we have, that might not be such a good idea, as the on/off transition is small enough as it is. It looks like an easily enough removed mod though if it's not comfortable. A tapered piece of pipe might make more sense, so that we still have good off idle transition, but can get to full throttle faster, with less twist.

Comment

define "A tapered piece of pipe"...

the whole concept of my locking my throttle at high rates of speed makes my nervous..

Comment

For years I've been using aftermarket grips. The brand name is "Grand Touring", and my friendly local Yamaha dealer gets them for me from one of his wholesale suppliers. They're big, especially in the middle, and ward off vibration considerably. Very comfortable. They last about 5 riding seasons before they begin to wear out in places.

Nick

Comment

i just bought a set of ProGrip 721's (or 724, i forget) off Dennis Kirks site. www.denniskirk.com

i dont like my Suzuki dealer in the area, so i got them online. i should have them this week hopefully.

~Adam

Comment

I see the direction this is going, and agree with the suggestions, but they seem to be aimed at controlling vibration, whereas you said your hands were cramping.

This suggests to me that your wrist position needs to be changed. If so, you can loosen the two bolts that hold the collar for the handlebars and raise or (more likely) lower their angle a bit. Other bars are also available.

The wide bars that came with my GK are comfortable on the highway, but impossible to use on tight turns, as one end would poke into my stomach while the other end was so far away my arm had to be stretched right out to reach it.

After switching the bars for a pull-back style that also have a different height, I still have some problems when the steering is turned to maximum, but I can now make tight turns, and I am much happier with them.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by PhilEkins
              define "A tapered piece of pipe"...

the whole concept of my locking my throttle at high rates of speed makes my nervous..
              Let's see if I can describe this accurately or not.... Make a letter C with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand. Picture the top of the C (the tip of your finger) is about 1/16 inch thick. As it curves around to the bottom (the tip of your thumb), it gets gradually thicker, say to 1/4inch or so. That's what I mean.
              I never use the throttle lock on surface streets. I only use mine on the freeway. It doesn't prevent you from twisting the throttle, just holds it in place.
              search
              I've heard some good things about throttle rockers too. It's a piece of plastic that attaches to the grip, and you rest your palm on it to control the throttle.

Comment

Re: After martket Grips...??

For large diameter grips, I have been happy with these:
                (been using them for many years)

They're the 2nd item down and are double layered, air pocketed. They also help reduce the amount of vibration you feel.

Since I hold onto both handlebar grips equally, if I find my right hand cramps or tires, but my left does not, then it is not usually the angle or height of the bars. The brake and clutch levers are infrequently used on the highway, so their mounting angle isnt the cause either. Usually, the cause is too stiff a throttle return spring, causing you to exert too much grip to keep the throttle from slowly decreasing. I removed the throttle return spring, stuck it in my pocket, and went to the hardware store where they have a cabinet of assorted springs. I picked four springs that were the same length, but of different diameter and windings thickness. They cost me about a dollar each, but I was able to find one that was just strong enough to return the throttle, but not so strong as to have to noticably hold the throttle open against spring tension. No more tired throttle hand. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by PhilEkins
                So here is my problem..

i ride a 82 650G and it has the standard grips....

i'm a big guy with large hands...

so here are the 2 problems...

i seem to continually be shifting my grip on the accelerator to allow more acceleaton and a comftable freeway riding position....

and after extended riding my hand is totally cramping up (which i think is probably related to the first problem)

here's my thought process for a solution....

a larger (circumfrence) grip, this would (i think) reduce my need to shift grip every 2 mins.....

so am i way off base or do you think that might work....??
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

GREAT TIP

add that one to the Tips and Tricks forum, You seem to be full of them Earl

Comment

that's a pretty good idea Earl. i should get a 'cruising' spring.

Comment

Both of my bikes have throttles set lightly enough that on a road trip, I rest both hands on the grips with my thumb and 1st finger lightly wrapped around the switch housing and the remaining three fingers draped over the clutch and brake levers. (the levers are canted down to match my natural reach)
                      It kind of gives you a "shelf" to rest your open hand on. :-)
                      I ride with my hands basically open and need only a thumb and one finger to twist the throttle, and I adjust my seating position for balancing lift to speed so there is no weight on my arms. I dont often ride with my fingers wrapped around the grips.

Earl

P.S. It does give me somewhat of an 1150E with a hair trigger. LOL

Originally posted by AOD
                      that's a pretty good idea Earl. i should get a 'cruising' spring.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I bought Kuryakan grips with a throttle boss and oh boy are they great, nice and fat, palm throttle, look great, and only $85.00 US, OUCH! But seriously they're great.

Comment

Originally posted by kvgarrison View Post
                          I bought Kuryakan grips with a throttle boss and oh boy are they great, nice and fat, palm throttle, look great, and only $85.00 US, OUCH! But seriously they're great.
                          i second the kuryakan grips! love them on my 82 1100l.

Comment

Crampbuster makes a nice throttle assist, I have one and it works great. You can use it for the highway in the normal positon and for the twisties I roll it over and out of the way. Sunline company makes a Grand Touring Grip that is also supposed to be very comfortable for long trips and is not very expensive so you can test it out without breaking the bank.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                            AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

unfortunatly, you guys are 5 years too late.. this thread died in 2003 :P

Comment

Working...
                              X