Need aftermarket handlebar advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need aftermarket handlebar advice

I think I did some damage to my right elbow on a 150 mile trip. The joint aches a bit even a week later. I'm thinking about getting a different set of handlebars from JC Whitney: http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoit...D=60904&BQ=mot I have a few questions that y'all might be able to help me on:

1. Is the overall width measurement on an installed bar from the ends of the rubber handgrips, or does the rubber entend a couple inches past the end of the bar?

2. What do they mean when they say it's predrilled for easier installation? I see no drillings in my present handlebars.

3. Can anyone tell me what is the angle the JC Whitney High Bars make at the handle compared to a straight bar? Are they pointed far back, cruiser style (60 degrees) or more like the stock GS 450E bars (25-30 degrees).

Thanks

Michael

Re: Need aftermarket handlebar advice

Originally posted by mopolopo
    I think I did some damage to my right elbow on a 150 mile trip. The joint aches a bit even a week later. I'm thinking about getting a different set of handlebars from JC Whitney: http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoit...D=60904&BQ=mot I have a few questions that y'all might be able to help me on:

1. Is the overall width measurement on an installed bar from the ends of the rubber handgrips, or does the rubber entend a couple inches past the end of the bar?

2. What do they mean when they say it's predrilled for easier installation? I see no drillings in my present handlebars.

3. Can anyone tell me what is the angle the JC Whitney High Bars make at the handle compared to a straight bar? Are they pointed far back, cruiser style (60 degrees) or more like the stock GS 450E bars (25-30 degrees).

Thanks

Michael
    1. Width is measured from end to end of the bars, grips extend about 1/2" at the most on my bikes.

2. There is a hole on the right underside of the handlebars to keep your throttle assembly in position.

Comment

The measurements are taken at the end of the actual bar. Any grip extensions added later would alter the dimensions.

I know there are some bars that mount with bolts through them, and some H-D bars can be multi-part, and may have cables running through the bars.

GS Suzukis have the bars resting in a sort of grooved cradle, and a grooved bridge that fits on top of them. This allows you to adjust the angle of the bars to suit personal preference, and the grooves provide a tighter grip to hold the bars in place.

No reflection on JC Whitney, but I would not buy handlebars from them or any other mail-order house.

You can get out the tape measure, sit on your bike, and decide just where you want the bars to fit, then order accordingly, but my experience has been that you should try the bars in person.

Just like shoes, the fit is important.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have replaced the pull-back stock bars on my 1980 850GL with Flanders Daytona-Style bars that are flatter. I now find that I am leaning forward too much and I'm waiting for the Flanders Suzuki-E Type bars to show up from Dennis Kirk which will make me more upright. I hope that these put me in a more neutral position to take pressure off my arms. I agree that it would be best to try the bars for "fit" before buying if you can find a way to do this.

Comment

Working...
        X