Ripped air box snorkle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripped air box snorkle.

My 82 850 L has a snorkle type thing on the air box. It is ripped, and hanging loose around the left edge. Is it important to have it? Should I find a new one, or just rip it off? Everything is stock in the motor and carbs. If I rip it off should I cover the hole with some sort of screen?

If this "snorkel thing" is the breather hose (goes from the top of the engine to the air box), then it's best to replace it. If you don't then you have to guess at how much that hole should be covered because it will be letting in pure air (as opposed to air with some engine gases in it) at a pressure that is not the same as the air that was coming from the engine.

Comment

Just pull it off. When my bike was fairly new I installed a jet kit and pipe. I thought I'd try altering the length of the snorkel to see if it helped performance. It didn't. I took it off completely and it ended up about the same as in it's original state.

Comment

Its the one at the back.

Its the one at the back of the air box. It doesn't seem to serve any real function. It just draws air into the air box frome behind the battery, under the seat. I wouldn't be woried about removing it, but with these stock set ups any loss of restriction makes me think twice.

Does it serve any purpose as far as restriction goes, or is it just a way to keep less dirt from getting in the box?

Comment

Snorkel

When I asked my "old Suzuki mechanic" about the snorkel on my 82 GS1100GK he said it definitely needed to be there. He suggested 3M black trim adhesive to glue it in place. Worked great and saved me some bucks. My guess is that Suzuki spent lots of engineering time/money to design it for a reason.

Steve Frazier
          Garland, Texas

Comment

Re: Its the one at the back.

The only function I can find for the rubber snorkel is to reduce the amount of dirt that gets drawn into the airbox. I have been running my 79 750 for two years with the snorkel removed (stock pipes, jetting, etc) and the only difference I find is that I need to clean the air filter a little more frequently.

Earl

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
            Its the one at the back of the air box. It doesn't seem to serve any real function. It just draws air into the air box frome behind the battery, under the seat. I wouldn't be woried about removing it, but with these stock set ups any loss of restriction makes me think twice.

Does it serve any purpose as far as restriction goes, or is it just a way to keep less dirt from getting in the box?
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X