38-42k rpm engine noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38-42k rpm engine noise.

i'm new to this so please bear with me. i'm not sure if i'm asking the same question or not. i have a 79 gs 850 g with 42000 miles. it has a vibrating or light chattering noise between 3800- 4200 rpms. goes away above 4200 rpms. is this also cam float noise ? it just started on my trip from cincy, oh to rodchester,ny. also it makes the noise at low rpms that goes away above idle. not worried about that. thanks; shawn w.

hmmn...i've heard about the clutch basket rattling...you could check that.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
      hmmn...i've heard about the clutch basket rattling...you could check that.
      Good call...often the clutch basket nut comes loose and you will hear a rattling down below, especially at idle. If that is the case you will need to pry back the lock washer and re-torque it, then pry the lock washer back into place.

Hap

Comment

Mine is doing something similar and we have traced it to the clutch area. As soon as my legs heal, i'm tearing the 1100e down and re doing whatever is needed in that area. When will i ever get the kill button and the shift light connected? Forget the carbs and air box mod. for a while too. The bike can't go faster with the parts on a shelf.
        Hap--I already have the billet nut and lock washer mod. I actually hope it is the basket itself and not just the nut.

Comment

hey get this; i changed the oil in the79 gs- 850 with the 38to42k noise and put in amsoil 20-50 w synthetic and the noise stopped. i was amazed at how much smoother the engine seemed to run . or maybe it was just me,but i don,t hear the noise. anymore. shawn w.

Comment

Working...
          X