Braided stainless-steel brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braided stainless-steel brake lines

I want to change at least my front brake lines to stainless-steel. Anybody have a recommendation for a brand, style, etc. ? I wasn't planning to change the rear hoses, as it's easy to lock the back wheel under hard braking, but what do you guys think about that?
    1979 GS 1000

I went with Russell braided lines. They were not cheap, but were made exactly for my bike and fit perfectly. I'm happy with them. I have a '79 1000E. If you have the same I'll get you the prices and part #'s when I get home from work if that helps. Some people make their own, but if you do, make sure you put plastic tubing on them to protect against abrasion. They will cut right through anything they rub against.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I ordered braided lines from HEL in the UK.

The catalog for Suzuki bikes starts at: http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/Shop/suzuki.htm

You order by model. I have a GS850GL and ordered the kit for GS850GE-GZ. A gentleman from HEL e-mailed me and commented that the British version of the GL differed from the American version and that he'd need a measurement. (I was aware of this but assumed the GE-GZ listing included everything in-between ... I appreciated the follow-up from HEL.)

The order shipped on a Friday. I had it the following Wednesday. The cost was about $125.00 for four lines (?81) if my on-line monetary-conversion tool is correct. [I've not done the hard math as someone has tossed my Dennis Kirk catelog, but I believe this is cheaper than it would cost me to make lines using the generic line/banjo bolts DK sells.]

The web site lists prices as follows:

One Line Kit ? 21.27
      Two Hose Kit ? 42.55
      Three Hose Kit ? 63.82
      Four Hose Kit ? 80.85
      Five Hose Kit ? 106.38

The price includes shipping.

Oh, if you place an order, you'll be advised that shipment outside the UK is guaranteed within 28 days. Like I said, I received my order in 5 days, which included a weekend. Some of the Brits I work with order from the UK on a regular basis and report 4 to 5 days is common.

Comment

Just for thought.

Just for thought. You might concider just using new regular lines. If all you want is stoping power regular lines are fine. If you are into racing, and regular lines are not permiting you to enter corners fast enough then you need braided lines. Braided lines wont really give you more power. They just make the power sharper, or reduce flex. If you are used to gradually squeezing your brake lever to get more power braided lines will take that away. The power will come on as soon as you squeeze.

Comment

I installed Russell brand about 6 years ago.
          Perfect fit, no problems. I did both front and rear.

After all this time, the banjo's are starting to show some weathering.
          No leaks, just getting some rust on the banjo's.
          Long time ago....I think both sets were around $125-150 range.....

They've worked fine, as I said no leaks, no problems.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

SS brake lines for '78 GS 750

My bike is a '78 GS 750C, not an E, so I only have a single front and single rear disc. The current hoses are in good shape, but I'd like a little more braking. Did any of you feel your braking was more solid when you changed over to SS lines, or do you think it's not worth it?
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Re: SS brake lines for '78 GS 750

Originally posted by jknappsax
              . The current hoses are in good shape, but I'd like a little more braking. Did any of you feel your braking was more solid when you changed over to SS lines, or do you think it's not worth it?
              no matter what the lines look like, the factory recommends replacement every 2 years, this shows you how they feel about the amount of swell in a used line, there can be an amazing difference,(with any new line, rubber or braided) especially if the brake lever is getting close to the handlebar now

Comment

Re: SS brake lines for '78 GS 750

Originally posted by jknappsax
                My bike is a '78 GS 750C, not an E, so I only have a single front and single rear disc. The current hoses are in good shape, but I'd like a little more braking. Did any of you feel your braking was more solid when you changed over to SS lines, or do you think it's not worth it?
                I've got the same bike you have, and I was sitting on my bike one day in the garage and noticed I could pull the brake lever all the way to the bar. I had no trouble stopping, so I bled the brakes just in case. No difference. Installed braided stainless brake lines, it's like a different brake! I can only pull it in about half way, max. The brake is activated WAY before that. Remember, the brake hoses on my bike were over 20 years old! I just got some stainless hoses from a salvage shop that fit. I don't know what they came off of.

I didn't do the rear brake because it works fine, but I highly reccommend replacing the front lines. You will be glad you did. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Russel lines are the standard here in the USA: well made and readily available. I would argue that steel lines do give you more power to the brakes since you are expending energy to expand the rubber lines. True, there should be adequate energy getting to the brake with rubber lines (even to the point of lockup), but the connection is much more crisp and efficient with steel lines (one-finger lockups). Also, the lag factor for rubber-line actuation is very noticeable and probably would account for a couple bike-lengths of additional stopping distance from 60 or so MPH. I've had both and highly recommend Russel Steel lines.

Comment

I recently changed the front 3 line system on my '81 gs850G to a 2 line system, and wondered why I hadn't done it before! Extremely nice. I found braking power I didn't know existed. I had my lines made up by a local shop per my measurements (S. Cal), because no one seemed to have a set for my bike. If you want I can hook you up with their name, address. Cost about $100. The universal stuff at DK was only slightly more expensive, and I nearly went that way. I had mine made up locally for the instant gratification factor. Make the change and you'll forget about the price.

Comment

i find the braided line heaps better you are not wasting energy trying to expand a rubber hose .so much more positive and when you are used to them you will wonder why the factory dosn't fit them std . 8) 8) 8) ozman

Comment

I'm thinking it would be nicer.

I think I may need to change my mind. If stock lines only last two years....... There must be room for improvment.

Comment

Re: I'm thinking it would be nicer.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
                          I think I may need to change my mind. If stock lines only last two years....... There must be room for improvment.
                          My stock lines lasted 20 years and still showed no signs of aging. My bike has always been garaged and I always wiped them down with rubber/vinyl protectant. I also always used silicone DOT5 fluid which is easier on rubber parts. When I did my restoration I replaced them as part of several upgrades I wanted to do. I did notice a more solid feel at the lever. I also like their looks.
                          The manufacturers, in the name of safety, make that 2 year replacement schedule.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was under the impression that DOT 5 was a big No-No in these bikes..?? :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                              I was under the impression that DOT 5 was a big No-No in these bikes..?? :twisted:
                              I've never had a problem, or anyone else I know. When I bought my bike new in '79 the lead mechanic recommended DOT5. Many advantages over DOT3/4. Higher boiling point, does not attract moisture like glycol, easier on rubber parts and won't damage paint/plastics. Between changes, the silicone looks much cleaner than glycol, so most people don't need to change it as often.

Comment

Working...
                              X