Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As God as my witness, I'll never use chain lube again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As God as my witness, I'll never use chain lube again!

Sad story follows: With apologies to Margaret Mitchell... As God as my witness, I'll never use chain lube again! I've been using Maxima aerosol spray wax on my bikes (GS excluded). It's fabulous! Zero flingoff, and the chain doesn't get black and tarred. When I reapply the product it goes on thin and acts as a solvent, washing much of the dirt off. The chain remains clean looking, as does the back wheel, frame, centerstand, etc.

Anyway, my bike has just over 20,000 km on the clock, and was running what I think was the original endless chain until last week. The chain was outwardly in good shape. The sprockets showed NO visible wear. So, I decided that each time I rode I would clean two or three links of warm chain by hand, towards moving away from oil-based aerosol lubes. There are 96 links! Finally, the end was in sight. I chose to clean the last half dozen gunky links in one go. Four links from finishing, I FOUND A FROZEN LINK! It couldn't be freed. New DID masterlinked o-ring chain now installed. Lesson learned.

Chain wax is my mantra. If I had to replace chain and sprockets twice as often (no reason to fear same), I'd think it worth the tradeoff!

Okay, that's it! I just ordered some from Maxima. $6.98 for a 20 oz. can plus $4 shipping. If this stuff is as good as everyone says this will be the best $10.98 I've spent in a while. Here's a link to Maxima:

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I agree Al!

Even though I have only had my 83 1100E for a few months I bought that stuff and it seems to be the best lube I ever used! The other stuff used to give me absolute fits!!!

Absolutely no mess or fling off whatsoever!! Excellent product!! 8)

Comment

I've been using that stuff for years now, it's great !

When riding dusty roads, dirt and debris mixes with the wax.
        I clean the chain with diesel, spray on a new layer and the chain looks like new again.

Comment

Yeah - I've been using it too ... my chainsaws love it!! 8)

Comment

Gosh I wish I had those problems with my shaftie! :P

Comment

i use silicon lubricant...turns to grease after application.

no issues so far.

Comment

I use cheap Walmart 80W90 gear lube once a year!

Shaftie Nick

Comment

Wow, I have been using that stuff all along and hadn't even realized it. Go figure!

Comment

Sand don't stick to chain wax either

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                      Originally posted by biker66
                      I agree!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                        Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                        Originally posted by biker66
                        I agree!!!!
                        You have Walmart in the Netherlands?
                        Kevin
                        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                        X