Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing plug wires without changing coils..can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing plug wires without changing coils..can it be done?

Is there any way to just change the plug wires without changing the coils. The wires on my GS1100 are quite dry and cracked but I don't want to have to replace the coils as well which all seem to be one piece. Has anyone ever done this? Can it even be done?

Look in the tips and tricks section.

Look in the tips and tricks section. I posted a tip about pulling out the old wires. Also look at my post on getting new caps. If you'r coils are still good these two things should have your system sparking hot again.

Comment

Having just been through a similar experience (trying to find wires after purchasing aftermarket coils) here's what I discovered, and also my opinion as to what I think you should do...

First, my original coils had to be replaced because of an overheating problem so I bought a pair of used Dyna Green coils on Ebay for less than $100 -- seemed like a good deal for what should be an upgrade over stock.

Once I had the coils, I discovered that I couldn't use the original wires -- went searching for customizable wires at a local auto shop (because car wires are almost always too long) only to find that almost nobody sells 'em anymore. Performance cycle shops can special order cycle wires for about $50, but most didn't know which part number to order. Finally found some at Carquest (7mm suppression) for $22. I'll give 'em a try.

I also discovered that you can buy replacement motorcycle performance coils from Accel (through online dealers) for around $125 including the wires! If I had known this before I would have gone this route. This is what I think you should buy, and here's why:

First, you're getting brand new higher performance coils (than stock) which ought to improve your bike's performance at least slightly.

Second, they include the wires so you won't have to go searching like I did AND the combined price is very reasonable.

Third, your coils are so old that they could go anytime ... why not just take care of it now while you've got it apart (although admittedly it's not a big job)?

There's my 2 cents ... good luck!

Comment

If you get the accel coils JUST MAKE SURE that you get the correct 3 ohm coils. With aftermarket coils I have heard that you can use wire set for Honda Civic.
        To repair the original coils first you have to cut the housing above the wire back about 1/2-3/4 in Cut the wire off as far back as you can leaving about 1/8 in of the old wire, remove the insulation. Then put a dab of solder on the end.
        Next go to MC dealer, maybe HD dealer You will need about 4-5 ft of SOLID CORE wire. You will probably not find it at auto parts store. Cut it into 4 pieces and trim the end back about 1/8 in and put a dab of solder on it. Then overlap the two ends and heat the solder to join them together. Next is to repair the cut part of the coil.. I used an two part epoxie puddy Got it at Auto Zone. Mix it up and buildup the cutout area to a 3/8 in thickness. Let it cure overnight. Reinstall the coils Cut the new wires to length. Reinstall the original spark plug caps and you are done Total cost $15 + new caps if desired.
        I did this to my coils probably 4k miles ago and they work just like new

Comment

Good point SqDancerLynn1 -- I forgot to mention that, although I've read that 5 ohm coils might actually work better because they'll run cooler under the gas tank than the 3 ohm originals. Do you know anything more regarding this option?

Thanks,
          Steve

Comment

The 5 ohm coils are usually listed for point type ign. the 3 ohm are for electronic. I would thing the aded resistance of the 5 ohm coils would possibly overheat your ign module on long trip ?? Accel also makes coils for points ign, electric ign , CDI ign. The CDI coils WILL NOT WORK on you GS thats why it is important to get the correct coils. If you get them off of ebay check the application

Comment

The old wires will come out.

The old wires will come all the way out. No need to cut them off and solder anything to the remnants of the old wires. New 7mm wires will then slide down into your old coils. If you buy new NGK caps you can use any wires you want. Just cut them to custom length and screw on the new caps. You can even pull some of the old thick protective covers off the old wires and put them on the new wires. I have my new wires covered this way under the tank #'s 1 through 4 on them.

Comment

Working...
              X