• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E front wheel goes click, click, click

OK here's the deal:
    About a month ago on the way to work .
    I ran over a road kill bunny.
    If that wasn't bad enough, soon afterward my front wheel started clicking. 8O
    As time went by the clicking became faster.
    Same old on the last Summer RideWhat a trip
    Way home from NH front end started to squeak :x
    Now, while riding over to NH and back, I lost my speedo at Woodstock, VT.
    If anyone has ridden here, you know you want to make sure you are doing the speed limit
    Get home.
    Pull the speedo cable 8O .NO problem.

Am I right in thinking I have problems in my front end ?

I am taking her to shop on Monday for inspection and to replace the front wheel bearings.

What else should I look for

Help :roll:
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

It may be your speedo sending unit, I've seen a few go bad, and that could easily make a clicking noise. When the wheels off spin the sender and see if it moves where the cable screws in.

Comment

I don't know, but if the front wheel starts hopping a bit and eating carrots, you might be on to something.

Comment

Sounds like you lost the speedo unit at the wheel. That would explain the clicking noise. Time to replace it.

Comment

I agree, it sounds like the speedometer drive.

Comment

You could have some of that road kill in the spedo drive, Take it off an clean it

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              You could have some of that road kill in the spedo drive, Take it off an clean it
              The poor rabbit was pretty hard by the time I hit it 8O 8O
              . I don't think it sprayed anywhere.
              At first I thought I had bent my fender or gotten something caught but no.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I had the front end click going on, too, on my '81 1100E. It was speed dependent, and was apparent when braking (when the cable flexed?). I spun the front wheel while it was on the centerstand, and figured it to be the speedo cable-drive at the hub. The front wheel came off when I did PS fork springs and new seals. I greased the cable-drive and the cable. Something worked - It's been entirely silent since! Good luck.

Comment

My rear wheel used to do that until I replaced the rear wheel bearings. One that was actually bent 8O ........I junped my 750 about 15 feet and landed in a ditch...I think that is what did it

Comment

Doug,

Does the clicking sound go away if you squeeze on the front brake?
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                      Doug,

Does the clicking sound go away if you squeeze on the front brake?
                      No, when I am going down the road, while it is clicking, brake action doesn't have any effect on it.

I believe the speedo gear box to be my problem.
                      Thanks for all the help
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

The spedo cable is notorious for making a clicking sound as it begins to fail. To isolate this problem, disconnect it from the speedo drive at the front wheel and go for a ride. If you still hear clicking then it's the drive or a wheel bearing. The stock wheel bearings are standard size bearings and are easily matched at any automotive store, at about a third the OEM cost, and it's not rocket science to replace them.

Comment

Working...
                        X