Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

prep for the big rebuild/tuneup. What do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prep for the big rebuild/tuneup. What do I need?

I am mechanically inclined, and I am preparing to take on my GS450 this winter. I've never rebuilt a vehicle before. So, I'd like a little help preparing a list of what materials I'll need. Please tell me what I'm missing.

- Complete set of standard bench tools (wrenches, screwdrivers etc.)
    - Engine gasket set (Dennis Kirk, $60)
    - Exhaust gasket (Dennis Kirk, $2)
    - feeler gauge
    - Clymer manual
    - caliper
    - multimeter
    - compression gauge

- other stuff...

Get yourself a set of screw extractors; you'll be glad you did. Have lots of cleaning solvents, and liquid wrench, as well as a pile of rags handy. You're going to see lots of old grease an oil.
    Get a rubber mallet to use on your wrench to persuade tight bolts. And a torque wrench for tightening them.
    You'll probably see lots of suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by cruzuki
      Get a rubber mallet to use on your wrench to persuade tight bolts.
      I use an old fork tube which slides over the wrench. That will loosen damn near any bolt! :twisted: Remember: If necessary, use force. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyways.

Take pictures, label stuff, lay things out in the order they came apart, just don't throw everything in a vat of solvent and then go back to assemble it. Use Baggies, boxes, or the like to keep certain components seperate.
      Get yourself some anti-seize compound. Once you snap off a couple of exhaust studs, you'll know why.
      Turn on the tunes, have a beer, and enjoy! Just don't get too carried away with the beer or you may regret it! #-o
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Can someone point me to a few useful web resources on rebuilds?

Michael

Comment

That's tough. This is the best web resource I've seen for what you are doing. seems to be a lot of knowledge & dedication to GS's here.
          You may want to do searches for manufacturers or service shops for each specific thing you are doing.
          There are people all over the world who do everything you could want on the web!

Comment

Michael wrote:
            Can someone point me to a few useful web resources on rebuilds?
            The best general motorcycle repair and overhaul site I've found is http://www.dansmc.com/
            I like his idea of getting a garbage engine to practice on so as to get a feel for when a bolt is about to break, and to find out how little it takes to chip off part of a cooling fin.

Comment

If they have'nt been checked in a long time, the carb manifold o-rings usually need replacing. Keep notes on how far out the carb adjustment screws are. Keep notes on cable/wiring routing, how all the washers/lockwashers/spacers go on, engine mounts (left and right, facing in or out).
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Rebuild time.....

Lotsa good tips & stuff coming in.....
                I would suggest a Factory Suzuki manual.....the other ones tend to try to cover too many different models.....like in your case it might read-----GS400-450-500--1979-1995.
                In my case I rebuilt the top-end of my 1150 & I ponyed up for the factory manual.....$50 !!!!!, only 3/8" thick but well worth it.
                Rick............

Comment

I have rebuilt a few bikes and no tool on your inventory, and I mean no tool, will be as usefull as having the factory service manual. They are expensive if you buy them new but generally for the year you have you can find them on ebay. Also a good IPB (Illustrated Parts breakdown) is an invaluable tool to make sure that any part you order is the correct one. You can also use those numbers on any good parts web site.

Comment

Tools

....Impact Driver / Wrench...

For the stubborn screws & bolts

SV

Comment

Allen Head bolts, to replace all those stubborn ones, even if you get them out without buggering them up. I am doing that on my carbs as I rebuild them...used a set of vice grips to "break" them loose after stripping a few...now I am replacing all the floatbowl and top cover with them, only about a quarter each, so not too expensive.

Comment

Working...
                      X