Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak - oil cooler

Hi,

I've realized that I have a big oil leak, but I can't figure out where it is. ('81 suzuki gs850g) Whenever I take bike out on the highway (around 70mph) the whole right side of the bike gets covered in oil. I mean it drips when I park it. I am having hard time localizing the leak. However it only leaks when riden at higher speeds (thus, higher rpms).

I have an oil cooler mounted on front of the bike. Is this stock? There are two hoses that go from cooler, under the gas tank and into the engine, just below the carburators. One of them goes directly into the egnine, while the other has some cilinder conected to it, and then into the engine. That cilinder also has some kind of electrical connection. Is that some kind of oil pump? I can't imagine how oil would cirlucate otherwise...

So I am thinking about taking the whole contraption off and closing shut holes in the engine. Removing cooler, hoses, and that little cilinder. I think I could eliminate a lot of places where oil could be coming from, and then clean it up and try to localize it again.

So: is it safe to remove oil cooler (weather is getting nice, and it's not hot any more)? Are there any other notorius places to check for high rpm oil leak?

Thanks...

I think you need it.

I'm pretty sure you need the oil cooler. Atleast the circuit is probably important. That thing is the sensor for your oil lite. Look close at your oil lines. I had a pin hole in one of mine. It got oil all over the head making me think the head gasket was gone. Also look at the tach cable seal. My cam chain tensioner had a leak as well.

Comment

An oil coler is a good idea. Check for oil leaks from the hoses. I had a cooler that split itself (at a track day no less!!). At higher sppeds the oil pressure is higher, Try reving the bike up when warm and holding it at higher revs,the oil leak may reveal itself.

Comment

toolman i've got the very same problem with my 1979 gs 850. about ayear ago i changed the valve/cam cover gasket , and the hydrualic hoses. the other day i put some form a gasket compound on the cam cover gasket to make sure it was notleaking because it was relativily new . then i changed the tach cable fitting seal and o-ring. because it was leaking right below it .but that did not fix it either . i can see it leaking on the top plate of the head, right below the tach fitting. but it's comming thru the center horizontal hole below the cam housing and cover.i can see it comming betwwen the vertical fins in the no3 plug area. just seeps , but oil covered my right foot and shin today. hope this is of some help. let me know if you find out. shawn w.

Comment

gs 850 oil leak found

toolman; maybe for someone elses benefit . i found my oil leak by parking my bike in the sun at the right angle and reflecting the light down thru the cam cover hole with a small mirror next to the no. 3 sparkplug, where the head bolt is. turns out , it was the cam cover gasket . plain as day when i reved the engine. shawn w .

Comment

the cooler is an aftermarket set-up from what you describe. you can remove it, plug off the 2 hose barbs at the back of the carbs, clean up the motor, and run it, the electrical thing on the back is an oil pressure switch. the GS can be run without an oil cooler, as they did not come stock from the factory on the older ones, and the newer ones had the barbs located on the oil filter cover. If it still leaks after bypassing the cooler, look for other places such as described in the above posts. let us know waht you find. :twisted:

Comment

Go to the dollar store or some discount place and buy a spray can of athlete's foot powder, has to be a spray can. Wash off and rinse your engine well. Let it dry. Spray the powder liberally over the areas where you have seen oil. Make sure you have any possible leak source covered, especially at the gaskets, hoses, and connections.

Now fire it up and ride around the block a couple of times. Get off and look for the little brown area(s) against the white powder. If you don't see any, ride it a little further and look again. You will find where the oil is getting out of your engine
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

dpep, that's a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                X