Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TAKEING HEAD OFF ! Any One Help Please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAKEING HEAD OFF ! Any One Help Please ?

I stripped spark plug hole , Don't ask ... but yea real big mistake .... can some one help me out ... i need some step by step intructions PLEASE this would be a big help ... i took the headers off ane carbs what do i need to do now ?

Thanks,
    John

Ahh forgot to add

its a 84' GS550 ... i think its a GS550ES .. not quite sure ..

Thanks,
    John

Comment

Dan's MC has some handy know-how.

If you've already taken the head off you're going to need a new head gasket, unless you were very careful and lucky in taking the head off. They're nearly impossible to get back on with no leaks. Check out Dennis Kirk. They're a bit spendy if it wasn't in the budget to start with.

Seriously, I'd suggest going to a professional mechanic, 'fessing up and getting the retapping done by someone who's done it before. There's a lot more damage waiting to be done if you do it wrong.

I am truly sorry for your misfortune. That really sucks.

Michael

P.S. Here's a funny bit about spark plug tapping: http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Arch...9/June/03.html

Comment

mopolopo,

Your VERY right. I think after I get the head off I am going to bring it to my machinest that has lathe,cnc,press every thing ... so i don't gotta worry about ruining it..

oh yea thats a NICE bike in your avatar!

Comment

If you have not yet taken the head off, DON'T DO IT!

There are kits that allow you to re-thread the head and use the original size spark plug.

You do need to take care about getting waste metal in the cylinder while dong the repair (check other current threads) but it is not difficult and can save you a lot of unnecessary effort.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Prime concern with taking the head off is NOT to let the cam chain fall down into the block. If you are trying to do this without a manual, forget it. Get a manual and new valve cover and head gasket (don't DARE try to re-use the old ones). If you are not a competent mechanic, get someone who is to help you out. This is pretty major work. In the end, you will feel much better having taken this route.

Comment

argon is right you can do a heli coil with head on if you do spend plenty of time at the end with compressed air and blow the cyl out a long fine noozle on your air hose to get the crap out also when tapping thread grease on the tap to catch as much as you can. if you remove the head mike c is right don't drop the cam chain it's a bitch fishing around for hours to find it.as soon as you remove cam ty wire onto cam chain about a foot long. a note you really only get 1 go at heli coil make sure you are straight and square with the tap 8) 8) 8) 8) ozman

Comment

Working...
              X