Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake problems: front and back. Spare parts, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake problems: front and back. Spare parts, anyone?

After getting my 82 GS1100GK started, I now need to get the brakes working in order to take it for a test ride. I know - I'm a wus about riding with no brakes

Front Master Cylinder appears to be all gummed up inside. Lots of nasty congealed brake fluid boogers floating around. Cleaned it out as best as I could, but it's still not moving fluid through the lines. I took off the banjo bolt, and put my finger over the outlet hole while pumping the handle - I get some pressure, but it immediately sucks back in once the handle is released. Looks like at least 1 of the small holes inside the MC is still clogged up. Not sure how to get that cleaned out. I thought about forcing air back through the outlet hole to see if I could blow out the crud, but not sure if that would work, or what tool to use to do such a thing. Any suggestions? My other option is to get another MC. Anyone have one in good working condition for sale?

Now the rear brake. MC appears to work (passes fluid through the line). The caliper, however, is frozen pretty good. I can't push the pistons back in far enough to allow the caliper to fit over the rotor. I don't really want to disassemble the caliper, but I will if I have to. Suggestions? And again: anyone have a good working used caliper for sale?

Re: Brake problems: front and back. Spare parts, anyone?

Originally posted by R-Tru-D2
    After getting my 82 GS1100GK started, I now need to
    Any suggestions? My other option is to get another MC. Anyone have one in good working condition for sale?

?
    I bought one of the forum and it ended up working GREAT

Comment

MC's

For the front MC go to a computer store and get a can of compressed air. That should get everything out. BUT BE CAREFUL. Wear glasses and gloves and cover your paint (if the MC is still on the bike). As for the rear spay it with WD 40 or something like that and use a C clamp to slowly squeeze it open. Make sure there is no presure on it as you open it back up.

Comment

I cleaned my front Master Cylinder out with water tonight. If you remove it from your bike you can remove the insides really easily. By taking off the rubber dust boot that covers the piston you get access to the snap ring holding the works together. My spring shot the piston 2 feet in the air...I knew it would happen so I just aimed it away from me. Sucks not to have the right tools at time.

Anyway, after that I twisted the reservoir around 90 degrees so I could clean out the little hole you were talking about.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X