Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for our bikes to use some oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it normal for our bikes to use some oil?

....after the last 300 mile ride I noticed the next day that my oil level on the 77gs550 was not visable through the view hole on the side. I had changed the oil/filter last month and have probably put about 1,000 miles on it since. I added a quart which brought it up to about 1/2 way in the window and ran it then let it cool. Stayed at 1/2 in the window. I need to add a little bit more. The bike has no leaks at all and runs strong. No blue smoke I can think of. Fires right up. Many people have posted that this is very common and our bikes use a little oil. Others also said that they have to add oil every ?? miles no matter how well it runs. Should I be concerned or is this normal? Does your GS use some oil even if it runs good?

Re: Is it normal for our bikes to use some oil?

The oil filter accounts for quite a bit and the window only shows about 1/2 to 1 litre not sure which. So most of it was probably taken up by the oil filter and other stuff* that had drained out during the oil change.

* this is a technical term

Comment

oil usage

My '78 GS 750, with just over 10,000 miles on it, will use a little oil (about what you describe) when run at continous highway speeds (65-85 MPH) for hours at a time. I usually check oil whenever I stop for gas, about every 140 miles.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

ALL internal combustion engines use oil - the quantity is the only variable.

Comment

I just added 8 fluid ounces of oil to my GK after a 1,000 mile run. It's normal. For a bike with 72,000 miles and no engine work, that's not too bad...

Nick

Comment

Mine used some oil but only when the valve cover gasket was leaking. But then the motor has less than 10,000 miles and it does not seem to use any oil now

Comment

Good to hear that I am not alone. My bike has just 20,000 miles and runs great, its due for an oil change soon anyways. It's now at that 1/2 way mark in the window, I need to add little more. The oil looks really clean still.

Oil change every 1,500 miles right? Or is that overkill. Do you change the oil filter every time? I plan on giving it a new filter every time but is that overkill?

Comment

But then the motor has less than 10,000 miles and it does not seem to use any oil now
                Good to hear that. It uses oil - only not much. By default - ALL internal combustion engines use oil. The only way to get around this statement is to not add oil to the engine at all. Of couse, this would doom the engine to a short life. But then it would not use any oil either.

Comment

Originally posted by 77gs550
                  Oil change every 1,500 miles right? Or is that overkill. Do you change the oil filter every time? I plan on giving it a new filter every time but is that overkill?
                  It's a little early, every year or 4,000 miles is spec. on my '84, and with an older bike, it's good to err on the cautious side. I wouldn't call it OVERKILL... 8) But, always change the filter. There's contaminants left in, even if you drain the filter cover. Why add bad oil to good? Filters aren't that expensive...

I change my oil twice a year, or 2,500 miles. Plus a new filter each time.

Robben

Comment

Originally posted by 77gs550
                    Good to hear that I am not alone. My bike has just 20,000 miles and runs great, its due for an oil change soon anyways. It's now at that 1/2 way mark in the window, I need to add little more. The oil looks really clean still.

no,it's not overkill, it depends on how the bike is ridden, heat has alot to do with it.

Comment

I use a good quality Dino oil and change it every 2000 miles, with filter...Oil and Filters are cheap. No reason to skimp there at all. :twisted:

Comment

my 78 used to use some oil...then it started leaking some. the 79 (blue bike) is running on Mobil 1 synthetic now. i filled it up last oil change and didn't have to touch it.

you could try running synthetic in it Domino...i had 11,500 miles when i switched...up to over 13,500 now.

~Adam

Comment

I change my oil every 2500 and I have only changed the filter twice....Each time it looked brand new I think I will start changing the filter every other time

Comment

I'll give it 2,000 miles and a new filter every time. I may try synthetic but that stuff isn't cheap considering I would rather change it every 2K even though the specs say it will go further. I run it hard once in a while but usually I am pretty respectful of the machine. I put in one of those magnetic drain plugs, not sure if they actually do anything (couldn't get anything to stick/magnetize to it before I put it on......didn't try metal shavings/filings though) but I'll know in about another 500 miles.

Comment

Just went on another 400 mile ride and about a block from the house my red oil pressure light began to flicker......pulled in and shut it down. Bike ran great, no blue smoke. Came outside after about 20 minutes to check the oil level and none was visable in the window!!! About 10 hours earlier before I left it was at the 1/2 to 3/4 way mark. Added almost a quart of oil but not too alarmed since I know that our bikes use a little oil after reading on here and on this previous post specifically. Ran it and checked again, level is solid at full. Need to remember to check it as I ride on longer trips.

Joe, Adam, Ryan...any of you guys loose any oil on our ride Sunday?

Comment

Working...
                              X