starting????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting????

I went through some back posts, but can't seem to find an answer.

1977 GS550B - it has a host of problems which are currently being fixed with some help from Earl, but it spends a lot of time sitting around.

The last time I ran it, didn't ride it, but ran it, was probably about 4 weeks ago. So I decided that tonight I would go out and run it again to keep stuff from sticking and what not.

Well I went out, plugged in the battery (which I had been charging), and hit the button, the starter doesn't sound like it's turning over. The lights all light up normal, but when I hit the start button, the starter sounds like it's about to turn over, kind of a hum type of thing and it dims all the lights to the point where you can barely see them.

What does this mean and can I fix it?

The engine will turn over either by hand or kick-start, and it sounds like it would fire up by kick-starting except that I've never been able to grasp the technique to do it.

Satch

Sounds like it has a flat battery. If the battery is too far gone, it won't even take a charge (like the one in my rotary right now), no matter how long you leave it. How old is this battery? If it's more that a year or so old, you probably need a new one.

Kickstart technique... Choke it, get it up on compression stroke of a cylinder (until you just start to feel resistance), and then give it a swift kick. Carry through the kick so it doesn't kick back on you. If it doesn't start in three kicks, something else is wrong. It should hit on the first try or two.

On bikes with very high compression, or something that never seems to come off the compression stroke (like the rotary), go through the same step of getting it on compression, but instead of a hard, swift kick, grab the bars, and with your right leg slightly bent at the knee, jump up slightly, and put your full weight on your right foot as you come down. Push your leg straight as you pull up on the bars, in addition to using your body weight, and again, carry through.

Comment

Re: starting????

I know the 77 models had a switch to turn the headlight of and on, so I'll assume you have the headlight off for starting. It sounds like your battery has given up the ghost. You can check cor voltage with a multimeter and it should read something above 12.5 volts, but unfortunately you will not be able to load test with the multimeter, so you could have voltage, but no capacity.

For cold kick starting, my proceedure is to not touch the throttle, leave the ignition key turned off. Pull out the choke and kick it over about three times. Turn the ignition switch to on, still do not touch throttle, continue holding choke out and letting the kickstart lever ratchet to top position, one smooth kick to full bottom. Repeat as needed. If it has been sitting a while, it can sometimes take a half dozen kicks. If it doesnt start, I wouldnt worry too much since as soon as you get the parts for the ignition, I believe we will be onto that little quirk. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="satchmo"]
      1977 GS550B - it has a host of problems which are currently being fixed with some help from Earl, but it spends a lot of time sitting around.

The last time I ran it, didn't ride it, but ran it, was probably about 4 weeks ago. So I decided that tonight I would go out and run it again to keep stuff from sticking and what not.

Well I went out, plugged in the battery (which I had been charging), and hit the button, the starter doesn't sound like it's turning over.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        I know the 77 models had a switch to turn the headlight of and on, so I'll assume you have the headlight off for starting.
        ...I wish, mine has the switch but It will not let you turn off the headlight. I read in some post I think about somebody taking it apart and removing a part that was limiting the switch. Does it have something to do with US law? Regardless, my 77 starts right up with the light on no problems. Find a hill and do the old rolling start with a pop of the clutch.

Comment

The law is that that the motorcycle must have the headlight on when underway. Its legal to install a switch for turning off the headlight, or all the lights for that matter. It comes in handy for starting if the battery is low. ;-)
          I think 1979 was the last year motorcycles were produced with on/off switches on the lights.

Earl

[quote="77gs550"]
          ...I wish, mine has the switch but It will not let you turn off the headlight. I read in some post I think about somebody taking it apart and removing a part that was limiting the switch. Does it have something to do with US law?
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

my 81 750 has a light switch. I think that in Canada you have to have the light, but I don't believe that is true with a US model, although running without the headlight on is asking for trouble. We need all the visibility we can get.

Comment

JC Whitney has some beautifull handle bar switches. i put one into the ground wire to my headlight and always shut it off when starting. My idiot lights trll me that the light is not on if i forget to turn the switch back. The switch saved my tail once when the battery died. I left tyhe light off and let the bike sit for a few minutes. she started barely but ther was enough juice easily for the ignition. It got me home.

Comment

I had turned my headlight off, but still no go.

When I bought mine the switch was working, no limiter at all.

Satch

Comment

Just remove the hi/low switch knob. there will be a tab, break it off and put the knob back on. you will now be able to turn the lights off

Comment

Working...
                  X