putting drive chain back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

putting drive chain back on

I've been working pretty hard, and I finally got my new engine mounted. I have run into a few problems, the first and foremost is that I forgot to put the chain back on before I bolted the engine up. Should I take the engine sprocket off or can I adjust the rear wheel enough to give me enough slack to put the chain back on? or do I need to unbolt the engine from the frame and tilt it back until it fits on the sprocket?

I don't know how this might help but its an 85 GS700E

just loosen the rear axle and adjusters and slide it all ahead 8) Mark

Comment

I can see where one may forget to put a chain on...

Shaftie Nick

Comment

I'm not sure where to even put it on mine. The only chain I have is in the engine. What is this "drive chain" of which you speak?

Comment

to jeckler some of us are chain deprived. you my sympathy for the fact you were shafted i am sure with suitable modification this can be cured.let me know if i can assist. happy to help in your hour of need ozman

Comment

I'd help you with Jekler Oz, but I'm too busy lubing my chain at every stop sign...

Comment

Originally posted by ozman
              to jeckler some of us are chain deprived. you my sympathy for the fact you were shafted
              Hey, I got a pretty good deal on it I think!

i am sure with suitable modification this can be cured.let me know if i can assist. happy to help in your hour of need ozman
              Yea, send me a GSX1400. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Comment

yep, adjust the rear axle and all will fit...

Be thankful you don't have those expense shaft problems like stripped gears, bearings etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                  yep, adjust the rear axle and all will fit...

Be thankful you don't have those expense shaft problems like stripped gears, bearings etc.....
                  I don't know what your talking about!! 8O 15+ yrs. with 2 shafties and not a problem ... no greasy fingers, no greasy rear wheel, no cans of chain lube, no adjusting the chain, no replacing the chain and sprockets - by the way, what is a sprocket anyway?? :? 8)

Comment

Come on Mark, everyone knows that sprockets are what Mr. Spacely made in the Jetsons.
                    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
                    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
                    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Originally posted by nweaver
                      I'd help you with Jekler Oz, but I'm too busy lubing my chain at every stop sign...
                      You should seriously think about some x-ring chain... What is lubing? :twisted:

Robben

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Schlosser
                        Come on Mark, everyone knows that sprockets are what Mr. Spacely made in the Jetsons.
                        And after all of the years watching the Jetson's - I don't recall ever seeing one!! 8)

Comment

by the way, what is a sprocket anyway?? :? 8)[/quote]
                          a sprocket is a means of tranfering power from the engine to the rear tire easily changable to suit your riding conditions .for example i like to keep my gear ratio low to achieve maximum acceleration where with a shaft you would time yourself with "o" say a sundial .my chain driven bike would require a stopwatch .hope this clears up some of your confusion 8) Mark
                          ps fire away

Comment

A shaft-driven FJR1300 or ST1300 or a Concours, and yes, a Gold Wing would leave your chain-driven GS in the weeds, snofrog!

A shaft-driven bike is not inherently slow, as many of you chainies seem to imply. A GS shaftie is slower than a GS chainie simply because the 1100 shaftie has an eight-valve engine, while the 1100 chainie has a sixteen-valve engine. Suzuki chose to keep the tried and true 8-valve engine on the 850 and subsequent big shafties because of a marketing decision; they thought the shafties would be bought by touring types, and they were mostly correct. Among the first 16-valve shafties was the Kaw Concours, a fine motorcycle that is still available, since 1986, at Kaw dealers. Chances are a Concours will give any GS chainie a run for its money.

True, a chainie gives you lots of sprocket choices, and therefore many possible gear ratios. That's nice, but to some of us the convenience of the shaft's cleanliness and maintenance-free operation is more important. To me, the possibilities of gear ratio changes make up the only advantage of a chain-driven bike.

Most of us who ride shafties do so because of the shaft. The shaft is our starting point when choosing a motorcycle. If I ever replace my GK with a more modern bike, such a bike must have a shaft. The choices are relatively few; I mentioned some of these in my first paragraph. That's OK, because the shaft is my starting point. My motorcycle must be shaft driven, and I won't even consider having anything else. If I could afford a second bike, it may be a chainie, but I can only afford one do-it-all motorcycle, and that's my GK.

By contrast, there are those whose starting point is not dependent on the bike's means of propulsion. That's fine. You're lucky in that you have many more choices in front of you. It takes all kinds.

I owned chain-driven bikes for 9 years, until 1979 when I got my first Moto Guzzi. Chains, never again -- for me, that is. I'm glad you chainies love your chains. It does take all kinds.

Shaftie Nick

Comment

Jeeez Nick it took you almost an hour to reply to that 8) Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X