only funs on full choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only funs on full choke

i finally fixed my bike. but it only runs on full choke. ive completely cleaned the carbs about 2 months ago and if i even as much as nudge the throttle it dies. my buddy says i should lean out the mixture but i dont know where my mixture screw is, this isnt a gs btw, plus it wouldnt make sense cause if i leaned out the mixture it wouldnt run even on full choke. any ideas.

start the engine and let it warm up on full choke. now turn the choke off after it good and hot, and let it die. pull the plugs, and see how they read.

wet = too much gas.

Comment

i dont know what this means but i adjusted my pilot screw to the factory setting which i got out of the manual. but when i adjusted them they were way too far out. the factory settings were 2 turns out and these were like 5 or 6

Comment

help

Comment

the pilot jets could have become clogged again if the carbs sat for a while.

have you tried adjusting the throttle stop screw in at all? maybe its not holding the carbs open enough when you're off throttle.

what happens if you slowly lower the choke when its running on full?

Comment

also, what do the spark plugs look like? i said this before. maybe you need to pull the plugs off, and swap on new ones.

~Adam

Comment

if by throttle stop screw you mean mixture screw then it way too far out before i adjusted it to factory. i have to buy a longer socket for my plugs.
              someone tell me what the pilot screw does? cause i adjusted that and it was way out of tune before i did. i havent had a chance to try it out yet.

Comment

your carbs should only have one screw...its located between the carb and the intake boot...if you're looking directly down at the bike. it is my understanding (as i have different carbs then you) that this screw adjusts air. you want it to be at about 2 turns out for a baseline.

you do not have a pilot screw.

the throttle stop screw i was refering to, is located on the throttle cable assembly. it is what 'stops' the throttle when it closes...you can open and close this to set the idle at a good point. if you have this screw/adjustment backed out all the way, the carbs might shut completely, and it wont run because its not getting air.

maybe someone here has a good diagram of what i'm talking about?

~Adam

Comment

Just an exploded diagram of the 83-up 550E carbs? Would that help?

Robben

Comment

this is not a gs machine, its not the 550 that i have in my sig . i need an explanation of that onliest screw i should have on my carbs. it was backed out too far before i adjusted it and now the bike wont start at all, not even on full choke. what is that screw called

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
                      this is not a gs machine, its not the 550 that i have in my sig . i need an explanation of that onliest screw i should have on my carbs. it was backed out too far before i adjusted it and now the bike wont start at all, not even on full choke. what is that screw called
                      ..... ](*,) .........well, what kind of bike is it that you need help with? That may help to get you more responses if people know some details .........what size....what year.....what make.......what model.....what kind of carbs/setup is on this bike.....? You do any mods on it....?

Comment

its an 87 zx750. i4 sports bike, 4 carbs. no mods. just got it running from death

Comment

Working...
                        X