Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have factory electronic ignition, and a multimeter ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have factory electronic ignition, and a multimeter ??

please those of you who have factory electronic ignition and a multimeter. Please test the resistance of your coil/coils and post your findings here.
    disconnect the connectors at the front end of the coils to reveal small metal tabs then measure across these on the lowest ohm range. Thank you.

Pete

Pete,

According to my repair manual, the coil resistance should be 3 to 5 Ohms primary and 31 to 33 KOhms secundary. Pick-up coil resistance: 290-360 Ohms.
    I haven't yet compared it to real life coil resistance, but I assume those measurements won't be a lot different.
    Those values are for GS850/1000G types.

Jojo

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
      Pete,

According to my repair manual, the coil resistance should be 3 to 5 Ohms primary and 31 to 33 KOhms secundary. Pick-up coil resistance: 290-360 Ohms.
      I haven't yet compared it to real life coil resistance, but I assume those measurements won't be a lot different.
      Those values are for GS850/1000G types.

Jojo
      Begfore i changed to dyna coils, i tested mine and found the factory specs to be within the tollerances as you stated--i used a meter with a needle--but it is an expensive one that i used for years when servicing air conditioners and refrigeration equipment--i have always favored an analog meter over the digital mainly for testing capacitors-both the stock coils and the dyna coils were in spec

Comment

ok. now we are getting somewhere. One more question. how do you test the secondary resistance. Yeah I know a rookie question, never was real good with electricity :? Can't see those darned electrons moving around :? anyhow thanks a bundle. .

Pete

Comment

You'll have to measure the resistance between the spark plug cap and ground.

Jojo

Comment

JOJO U R THE MAN. much apreciated. Thank you. The coolest avatar I have seen too. I dig the animation. (slow and subtle--very cooool).

Pete

Comment

Thanks,

Honoustly, I've been waiting for someone to notice the avatar.....

Comment

jo jo
                asre any of these wires resistor type wires

Comment

The high voltage side is all copper, except for (maybe) the spark plug caps. Remove them before measuring and you should get a clean read-out.

Jojo

Comment

Primary Resistance 4.5 and 4.6

Sorry, but I could not get any secondary reading. The resistance may be above my meter limits.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Perhaps you have spark plug caps with build-in resistor. Try removing them and measure again.

Jojo

Comment

krash, the factory manual for my 1980 GS1000G says to test resistance between the spark plug boots. The stated value for my bike is 30k to 32k ohms, which checks out for one of my coils; the other one has a bad resistor in one of the plug boots, which I am going to replace (those with experience have actually recommended replacing all of the boots with NGKs-check the post for "spark plug boots"). Without the bad boot in place, the remaining boot and coil have about 22k +/- ohms resistance.

Comment

Working...
                        X