Is the 1 gal can of carb cleaner good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 1 gal can of carb cleaner good?

Is the one Gal paint can of carb cleaner good to use? I plan to dip my #2 carb to try to get it working. Does this stuff get used straight? Or do i have to dilute it with gas?

Hopefully this will improve things. Do I need to take the butterfly valve off? I know it has little rubber rings at the hinges. The linkage is held on with a pin that I would rather not pound out + I know the screws are hard to get out in one piece.

Good and bad things about the idea.

Good....the cleaner will likely remove varnish and a few other deposits.

Bad....the cleaner may remove ALL your "O" rings and any similar items in the carbs.

Unfortunately, there is no way to identify what it will do until after you try it, unless someone has an idea about the specific brand and formula you plan to use.

I have stuck with Varsol on cars that have been off the bike, and used a spray cleaner to blow out the passages. I don't know if the spray cleaner is/was a good idea, but it has not stayed in contact with anything long enough to do a lot of damage.

Another one is to use a fuel injection cleaner in your gas. For some reason it does less harm to the "rubber" parts than does carb cleaner..
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If you are going to disassemble the carbs from each other yes it will work fine. Go to the store and get a package of Glad storage bowl, you need 4, as you take them apart put the parts into the storage containers. Don't forget to number them. It keeps all of the parts together and with the lid on will not spill. For parts you will need O ring kit get it from

Comment

I use an old cake pan and take the carb apart in that. That way all the little pieces fall into it and don't go rolling into the abyss and the carb cleaner doesn't melt the plastic. Then I put all the pieces into a glad container and label it.

Ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I prefer Yamaha carb cleaner. It smells like "Formula 409" and you mix it with gas, but it works and it won't hurt the O rings. You can literally take the carb off, drop it in this stuff for a week without removing ANYTHING and it won't hurt your rubber parts.

For bikes that have been sitting, I put this stuff in a mayo or mustard squeeze bottle (make sure to take your favorite condiment out of the bottle first) and just squirt it in through the fuel line (don't put it in the tank or it'll knock everything in there loose and plug up the carbs). Let it sit a couple of days and drain it out. Repeat if needed, but once usually will get them cleared up, if disassembly can be avoided. Sometimes you have to got through them anyway, but I always try this first.

Comment

Working...
          X