HELP>>>Where might I find the key code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP>>>Where might I find the key code?

Lost my key to my 1981 GS650L. Of course I don't have a spare. Is there a key code hidden somewhere on the bike or do I have to replace the switch? What about the lockable seat and helmet locks? They were all keyed to the same key...Help!!!

Look for a 3 digit number somewhere on the ignition, or one of the other locks. Find a dealer who can cut from that code. Be prepared to show proof of ownership. Failing that, a good locksmith might be able to make a key from scratch, but you're gonna pay.

Comment

Had a locksmith rekey my helmet lock and seat/helmet lock. I had a key, but the only thing it fit was my ignition. He's pretty good at his job, and since I had the seat/helmet lock apart already, although I couldn't get the actual cylinder out of it (I was missing seeing the one little clip that held it in place) he didn't charge me for doing that one.

The thing is, he mentioned that bike keys are pretty simplistic in design, and not hard to make keys for. They only have about 5 sloppy little tabs to guide the key, and said he'd probably do the re-keying for about $10.00. That's what he charged me for the helmet lock, but it was because he had to drill out a hole next to this little pin, and push that out from behind to release the cylinder... I found all this locksmith stuff to be a neat sounding career... Now to make a key for the existing lock, I've heard they can do them for $25.00. All this is in Cdn. dollars so factor the exchange rate and you'd get something like $6.50 US and $15/16 for the key... Don't go to a dealer unless you've found that code.

Robben

Comment

Go to a locksmith, the dealer will not have the key blanks to cut a key with

Comment

Lost Key

I took the number off of my helmet lock to my local dealer here in Seattle and had a key in 10 minutes. Works for ignition, seat, and of course the helmet lock. Call you dealership before you go to make sure. They should have a book of codes, and blank keys to cut.

Good luck

Curt

Comment

Working...
          X