Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my Gas tank leak when I remove it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will my Gas tank leak when I remove it??

Hi all,

I have to remove my fuel tank so that I can cut off and reposition the coil mounts (to accomodate performance coils). My GS has one of those petcocks with no adjustment lever. Originally I thought it had broken off, but have since come to understand that this is how the 550L was sold.

My question is ... does the petcock automatically shut off fuel flow when the engine isn't running or am I going to have a big mess when I disconnect the fuel line? Murphy's law applies here -- the tank is full of course! :?

Any help is appreciated! 8)

It shouldn't

It should shut off and stay off till the vacume turns it on. If it leaks while off the bike rebuild your petcock. + change your oil and filter. Many bad petcocks leak gas into the crank case.

Comment

not sure, but I think the 550's are vacuum fed, like the larger ones. You should have 2 lines running from your petcock? If so, then you shouldn't get leaking when you remove it.

Comment

Thanks!

That's what I suspected, but I wasn't willing to move forward without confirmation. Now I feel confident enough to take the chance and finish the repair/upgrade!

Ciao For Now! 8)

Comment

I had a bad petcock,
          2 gal. of gas lost in my garage.
          At least a quart of it on me.
          I now have a manual petcock.
          Never again to be drowned in gasoline.

Peace
          Mo

Comment

Working...
          X