Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM26 o-rings

Hey fellas:

I tried using the search tool, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm currently rebuilding the carbs on my 78 GS750 and I bought 4 rebuild kits (gaskets and misc pieces) but they didn't include o-rings.

Does anyone know any sources to get only the o-rings?

Also, is there a exploded parts list available somewhere for these carbs?

Thanks in advance!
    Patrick

there is someone on the site who sells the O Ring sets very cheaply...can't remember who though. I just went down to the local NAPA and got what I needed...

Comment

Yeah, that would be Robert Barr, but his o-ring set is only for the CV carbs. Bummer.

Comment

Also, is there a exploded parts list available somewhere for these carbs?.
        I have the microfiche for the GS750 in .jpg format which is basically an exploded drawing with parts list. There are 6 pages for the carbs (totals about 1Mb). Email or PM me if you want them.

Comment

That would be very cool. I just sent your a PM.

Cheers!

Comment

Here's the bulk of a post I did last summer, reporting my discoveries to another GS'er who was looking for o-rings for his VM carbs. I had contacted him after he finished his carbs, and things seemed to be working well. Haven't seen him on the forum much this summer, so I don't know if there were any longer term issues or not. I STILL don't have my own carbs back together :? :? , so I don't have any first hand experience. As stated, the issue is that these are not exact replacements, but sizes that at least approximate the originals, and look like they should work. I still have a few of the -005's left, if you can't find them locally. And the reason you didn't find my original post in your search is that it's buried in a post about carb cleaners. Hope you find it useful!

I'm still in the middle of my cleaning/rebuild - too much to do on too many fronts, too little time. I haven't had a chance to work on the carbs for about 2 weeks now. Hopefully, this weekend I can squeeze some time in...

Anyway, as you've probably discovered by now, there are 5 different o-rings used in these carbs. Readily available o-rings are identified by a standardized sizing/numbering system that starts at -001 and goes up to ???. You can find the sizing chart, dimensions, and more than you really want to know about o-rings at www.allorings.com. Most commonly available material for o-rings is buna-n (also known as nitrile). This material is fine for the carb application, fully compatible with gasoline. Viton is OK, too, but viton o-rings seem to cost about 3 times the cost of nitrile rings.

Although I haven't put any carbs back together yet, I've been measuring, looking for o-rings, sizing the 5 applications in our carbs. This is what I've determined so far:

"Choke assembly" - Size -011 seems to fit well.

Jet assembly - Size -009 seems to fit well.

Float bowl drain plug - Size -008 seems to fit well.

Pilot screw (the larger one)- Initially a size -006 seemed to fit OK; after getting some -005's, I find they are closer to the correct size, but neither is an exact match for the original (-005 is closer).

Air screw (the smaller one)- Size -005 looks like it will work here, too, but it also is not an exact match for the original, which is different than the pilot screw application, where a size -005 also seems to fit OK.

My terminology may be screwed up a bit; I don't have my Clymer in front of me now; I'm working from some scrawled notes and memory (becoming a higher risk situation as time goes by). If you have trouble sorting things out, let me know and I'll try to clarify it.

Where to get the o-rings? You may have some luck at a well-stocked hardware store. At the website listed above, you'll find a nice kit for only $10.00; if you're a real do-it-yourselfer, this is definitely the way to go. Problem is, it starts at size -006 and goes up from there. I have a friend involved in auto racing who has this kit in his shop, so that's where I was able to get the larger ones. Finding the -005s was tougher, though. Most sellers (websites, industrial supply houses, etc.) sell in lot sizes of 100, 300, etc.
            I eventually found a local supply house from whom I was able to buy a pack of 100 -005s at a reasonable price. I gave some to my friend in exchange for the ones I took from his kit; I'll gladly send you (or anyone else, until I run out) the 8 I think you'll need, plus a spare or 2 if you'd like; just send me $1.00; that'll easily cover the o-rings and postage. Email me if you're interested, and I'll give you my address.

Comment

Working...
            X