Cam cover removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam cover removal

I need to replace the cam cover gasket on my 82 GS750 TZ. The instructions in the Clymer manual say to remove the carbs. Do I really have to? I hate removing the carbs and I've promised myself I'm going to strip them and clean them next month. I do not want to have to remove them twice if I can avoid it.

Also, the rear right and front left bolts on the cam cover are apparently longer than the others (why?). These two bolts on my bike are clearly not the originals and I've no idea whether they're the right length. Anyone happen to know what length the bolts are meant to be?

Thanks

Roger

I would try to remove it without removing the carbs. Remove the breather on the top of the cover, then try to remove it. You can usually tell if the bolt is the right length by the amount of the bolt sticking up when inserted into the hole

Comment

the breather cover is usually the key

Comment

Those two bolts are supposed to be longer. They pass through locating dowels.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I would try to remove it without removing the carbs. Remove the breather on the top of the cover, then try to remove it. You can usually tell if the bolt is the right length by the amount of the bolt sticking up when inserted into the hole
          Thanks. The holes go right through so, however long the bolt, none of it sticks up when inserted in the hole. Which makes me wonder even more why the length of the bolts matters. It also makes me wonder if a previous owner has drilled right through for some reason.

Anyway, the main thing I was concerned about was not having to remove the carbs.

Roger

Comment

Working...
          X