Not Quite All There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Quite All There

8) I have been running my GS550 for almost a year now and it isn't quite hitting on all cyolinders. After much carb cleaning and recleaning I am still having a problem, I don't think it's there. On my #4 pipe it runs hot for a while and she runs real good. Then 4 goes cold and the plug seems to be the problem. It has a heavy black coat on it. oil I think. I am getting no smoke from the muffler though. Do I just need a ring job on this cylinder, are there any additives I can use in the oil supply to slow any leakage or what else could it be. #4 is the only one that seems to have the problem. :?

sounds like the #4 is too rich...its fouling the plug.

what year is the bike?

Comment

A compression test can give you all kinds of information. I'd start there in this case.

When was the last time a valve check/adjustment was done?

Comment

Put a new plug in it and change the # 1 and #4 plug wire position, see if itstill does it on 4 or if it changes and now does it on #1 change the coil. If not then recheck the carbs

Comment

8) It is a 1980 with a V&H 4 into 1, never did a compression test, could be too rich, I previously changed the coil wire and did the #1 cylinder change out, it is on the #4, how do I adjust, for rich mixture?

Comment

First of all, you need to know if the plug is black from oil or a rich mixture.
            Before you start it up, if the black is fairly shiny and sticky, it's probably oil. If the black is like soot/powder and dry, it's probably a rich mixture.
            I believe on your type carbs there is only a pilot screw that helps adjust the AMOUNT of air/fuel mixture. Turning this screw in will decrease the amount and create a "leaner" mixture. If this screw still has the factory sealant on it, I would not disturb it. If it has been turned in the past it's possible it has been turned out too far. If you choose to adjust it, be careful of stripping the head, they can be hard to move sometimes. Also, if you seat them, do it lightly to avoid breaking the screw tip off. A "ballpark" guess is they should be about 1 1/2 -2 turns out, but that is only a guess.
            There are several things that can cause a rich mixture.
            You say you have completely cleaned the carbs and you believe the spark and electrical connections are good. The problem is only #4.
            Have you synch'd the carbs with a vacuum tool? A poor synch' can result in 1 cylinder running rich.
            Is the float height correct? Float needle valve in good shape, also the float needle valve seat and o-ring? Floats look good? Any fuel dumping out of the small tube at the bottom of the floatbowl?
            Are pilot and main jets tight? Are they stock sizes? You may have too big a jet(s) installed? Is your jet needle stock or is it possible it has been changed as part of a jet kit? If part of a jet kit, the needle may be adjusted too high.
            Does your carb have an o-ring that seals the needle jet/bleed pipe? Is it in good shape?
            Is the diaphragm in good shape?
            I'm not familiar with your choke circuit but is it possible the plunger(?) is not seating or not sealing?
            Any of these things could cause your described problem. I would do the synch' first if you have a tool. Then check the other things if you have'nt already. Let us know what you find.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

8) Great, I will get strated from the easiest and work my way up, will let you know ASAP.

Comment

zoom zoom

8) I started with the air adjustment and a new plug on #4. It has been about one week since the change and I have had no trouble on that pipe, getting pretty good power. I still need to have all of those other things checked, but need a mechanic, there is one about 25 miles up the road. I will get it to him. I recently had it out one night anad pulled up to a 7-11. A guy asked if it was a suzuki (has no insignia on it) when I said yep, he said he had a '79 GS 1000, would let it go for $800, think it's time to trade up?

Comment

Re: zoom zoom

Originally posted by DEEZZ
                  8) I started with the air adjustment and a new plug on #4. It has been about one week since the change and I have had no trouble on that pipe, getting pretty good power. I still need to have all of those other things checked, but need a mechanic, there is one about 25 miles up the road. I will get it to him. I recently had it out one night anad pulled up to a 7-11. A guy asked if it was a suzuki (has no insignia on it) when I said yep, he said he had a '79 GS 1000, would let it go for $800, think it's time to trade up?
                  If the bike looks like it's worth it, why not? I have a '79 1000EN. Great bike. If the guy will let you, ride it around so it's hot. This will give you a better idea how the tranny, clutch, carburetion and starter system is working. Good luck!
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                  X