Final Drive Leak 82 GS1100 Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Drive Leak 82 GS1100 Shaft

The final drive on my bike has gear lube leaking out from inside the wheel/hub. The Clymer manual only says that this is a job best left to the Suzuki dealer. I'm pulling the unit off tomorrow to make sure it is not leaking down the inside of the shaft tube from the transmission. Anybody ever overhauled a final frive unit? My gut tells me to pay my old Suzuki mechanic to fix it once, rather than straighten it out after I worked on it.

Ask or PM Nick Diaz

Comment

Gear lube is limited to the final drive unit itself. There is absolutely no lube in the the swingarm. The shaft is supported by a bearing at the drive end, and a u-joint connects it at the engine side.
      I would think it's possible to change the seals in the final drive. a driveline shop would be your best best, so that the proper gear backlash can be set when it is reassembled. The other option is a good used one from eBay.

Comment

DO it your self. I have never done it, looking at the manual, By the book it sure looks like it can be done without complete removal Remove the wheel and unbolt (12 bolts) and remove the gear bearing casefrom the drive unit, don't forget to drain the gear lube. Replace the oil seal in the bearing case and replace the case sealing O ring. reassemble it

Comment

Working...
        X