O-ring kits for VM's: Looking for guinea pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-ring kits for VM's: Looking for guinea pig

I'm the guy who carries the O-ring kits for the CV carbs. Nearly everyone on this site has done business with me at one time or another.

I keep getting requests for kits that fit the 'VM' series, for the pre-1980 bikes. My kits are almost useless for these.

I could develop a kit just for the VM's, so this problem would be solved once and for all, but I'm going to need a guinea pig VM carb (at least, or preferably a bank of VM carbs).

If necessary, I could return the carbs when I'm done (unless they're beyond hope). If nothing else, they'd get a bath (Berrymans style) and some new O-rings in 'em.

The VM kits would cost a little less, probably, since there would be fewer O-rings. (The interconnection O-rings aren't needed on the VM's; actual cost depends on how many <expletive> metric sizes I wind up needing.)

The downside (for me) is that there might never be a payoff point -- I might never sell enough kits to cover my expenses, but maybe after a year or so...

The upside is, all these folks trying to bring the older GS's to life would have a decent source for their carb rebuild O-ring needs.

Which is kinda what this board is all about...

Looking for a volunteer here...

I'm up here in Chicago. I have bought some O-ring sets from you before. If I recall correctly, you are down in Joliet.. I can give you a set to work with off my 78 GS750E. Let me know how you want me to handle it.

Comment

This is great news!

I also noticed, that K&L makes o-ring sets for Mikuni and Keihin carbs. You get packs of 25 for a certain size.

Like so (these are Mikuni sizes):
      18-4630 - Carb O-Ring 1.0 I.D. x 4.0mm thick-pk/25
      18-4631 - Carb O-Ring 1.5 I.D. x 7.5mm thick-pk/25

Comment

i used the K&L kit to redo my carbs because no one sold the o-rings except Suzuki. i paid like $2 per small o-ring from them... :x

are you really in Joliet? i'm originally from New Lenox, i'm in DeKalb now...and i do have an extra carb body here from a 79 GS550...just one though. i also have some spare parts from the K&L carb kit i bought...so you might be able to get some o-ring sizes from that.

it'd be really cool if you could help out the VM guys...i needed it 3 months ago myself.

~Adam

Comment

AOD wrote:
          are you really in Joliet? i'm originally from New Lenox, i'm in DeKalb now.
          Do you have anything to do with the U of I out there? I know it has been growing some lately, but thats what DeKalb brings to mind. My wife lived in DeKalb for about 15 years, down on 3rd St. It's not a bad place to be. The university takes it out of the normal rural category, and Chicago is only an hour away (if it isn't rush hour). We thought about my moving out there, instead of her moving here with me. We decided on Chicago, though. More job opportunities.

Comment

There are only 2 O-rings in the VM type carb

Comment

3 actually. The pilot screw, air screw and the needle jet/bleed pipe.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The carb diagram only shows 2 o-rings actually (3 if you count the float-bowl drain screw o-ring).

1 for the main jet and 1 for adjuster (all are part #13246-43010 for "E" model even for the drain o-ring).

There are also 12 o-rings (for the whole set) for the fuel connectors. Those are part #13679-43010.

These are they only ones listed as "O RING".

Comment

there's 4 per carb i believe, counting the bowl drain.

Mastiff, about DeKalb...it is home to Northern Illinois University.

Comment

Working...
                  X