Pistons and bores question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistons and bores question

Hi all, name is marco and I have a 1980 gsx1100et, I think it's called gs1100e in the States.
    The bike has started to blow oil out of the breather pipe and it's down on compression on the middle pots so I am getting ready for a top end stripdown.

well, official suzy dealer is asking me 35 uk pounds per set of rings!

but I found that I can get complete Wiseco pistons for $30 at a piece!!

However, the wisecos all seem to be bigger (76mm and up to 80mm) than what I have now, accordingly to the manual my bores are 72mm bore (2.835in)
    question is, can I rebore the block to take these pistons?
    I think I heard of people doing it, or am I mistaken?

Also, how much clearance should there be between piston and bore?Say I go for the 76mm pistons, should the bores go up by 0.25? or more? I am not sure and I can't seem to find the info.
    My local machine shop don't have a clue as they do mainly cars and they are asking me!

I guess I could just go the easy way and spend lots of money for just original rings, but it seems silly to do all that work (and new gaskets) and not go for the whole new pistons, at cheaper price.

can anybody help?

thanks a bunch in advance!

Usually the pistons come with information for the machinest as to the bore/skirt clearance required. Wisco piston kits are available new for $400 $450 us funds. Includes pistons,pins,rings. You would need the street kit 10 to 1 compression. the 13 to 1 kit is a racing part. I would also find a different machine shop. It would be a great preformance increase since you are going to do the top end anyway
    EDIT UPDATE Suggested list $481.08 includes above plus head and cyl base gaskets KIT #K1133 1133cc (2mm over)

Comment

Hey Marco - where did you find Weiscos for $30 per piston?

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondj
        Hey Marco - where did you find Weiscos for $30 per piston?
        That would be a great price, the 816 kit is (pistons, rings, wrist pins, c-clips,) $415.

Comment

I understood that to go above 1100cc, you need to get bigger liners installed into the cylinders (bored and pressed in). It is quite expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
            I understood that to go above 1100cc, you need to get bigger liners installed into the cylinders (bored and pressed in). It is quite expensive.
            Actually, no, I have the 1166 kit, just plain overbored, but if memory serves, anything larger than that, you need to re-sleeve and you must increase the diameter where the sleeve enters the upper case half, they also make 'big block' kits that entirely replace the stock cylinder block and allow you to go to 1500cc, of course with major mods to upper case half

Comment

Working...
            X