Slow...Dead Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow...Dead Speedo

Ok folks, picked up a new set of gauges off ebay for my 82 GS550L. The guages were actually off a 80 or 79 550. Got everything hooked up and all the bells and whistles work except for the speedo itself. When I first got it I noticed the needle was below the the pin, so the gauge was reading -10mph or so. So, I took the gauge apart, cut housing and moved the needle to the other side of the pin. Back on the bike the gauge appeared to be reading fairly accurate but slow. It would take a while for the needle to come up and match the speed of the bike, likewise after the bike stopped it took 20 seconds or so for the needle to come back to zero. The odometer is registering accurately. Latest development, now the speedo needle does not move at all!!! The odometer still register like its supposed to but no speed indication.

Any ideas? I looked the mechanism over pretty well when I had it apart, no obvious problems. The needle seemed to have more resistance to moving than the old busted gauge i had. I appreciate the help everyone.

jcurt2005

mine does the same thing. it registers miles pretty close to what it should, but the speedo is kinda slow in reacting to how fast i'm going. it takes a good minute to get to speed if i am constant.

~Adam

Comment

Try some WD-40

Try some WD-40. Its kind of hard to get the WD-40 past the little cap that covers the magnet as it spins. The needle shaft is above that cap. If you can get some WD to the shaft it will free up the lube. The lube is sticky and thick like chain lube. It needs a little freshening with WD. Mine works better now after I sprayed it and rode a few times.

Comment

thats the thing...my odometer works fine though. if the cable was sticking...the odometer would stick too.

Comment

Working...
        X