How smooth does your bike go into gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was outside adjusting my clutch cable for about the last 15 min. and have been unable to get my bike to drop into first gear without any resistance. The friction point of the clutch changed and I was able to get it better but not go away. Is the cable just too far gone/stretched? Can't remember being on a bike that shifted in perfectly...but all have been much better than what I have now.

Also, I noticed a little bit of oil at the bottom of the front sprocket cover...I would imagine that ,like a car, there is an output shaft seal there that is a little worn. I can't stand a leaky machine, even though there is only about 3 drops under where I park it, it will bug me until I fix it.

thanks for the help,
    Trevor
    '85 GS700E

Slicker than grease on my 83 GS750ES....'cept for "clunk" into 1st gear when it's cold. I figure this bike has one of the smoothest gearbox/clutch combinations of any bike I have ridden, modern or classic. I literally only have to give the lever the lightest tap up or down when on the move.....never pops out of gear, either.

Simon

Comment

It's not just the cable that needs adjusting, there's an adjuster under the smaller cover on the countershaft cover. You loosen the locknut and adjust the slotted adjuster in until it contacts the rod it acts on. Then back off the adjuster about 1/4 turn and hold it there while you tighten the locknut. The only clunky shift should be the first one or two when the motor is cold as Simon said.

Comment

I'm fighting clutch adjustment. What is this other adjuster? Does an 81 750 have it?

Comment

I know the 77 750 had it, and my 85 700 has it, so I'm guessing your 81 has it as well. It's the cover on top of the cover that the clutch cable screws into. On the 700 there are 3 screws that hold it on.

Comment

Originally posted by nweaver
            I'm fighting clutch adjustment. What is this other adjuster? Does an 81 750 have it?
            I think all/most bikes have it......it is usually hidden under the drive sprocket cover (on chain-drive GS's). The handlebar adjuster is really for just adjusting the clutch cable for stretch. The adjuster at the other end of the cable on the engine is for adjusting the free play on the clutch actuation rod (or whatever the mechanism) before the clutch plates are forced apart. Billy's point is a good one....the adjustment should be within spec at both of these points. Even if you get the handlebar lever adjustment correct, problems can still arise from having no, or too much, free play at the push rod end. If you have an owner's manual or service manual, it should describe the adjustment procedure and specs.

Simon

Comment

All your clutch adjustments on the '81 750 16v are external . One adjustment at the clutch lever on the handle bar and the other being down on the R/H side of your engine at the clutch cover.

Comment

This seems to be a fairly common complaint. My friend and I both have 1980 Suzuki GS450. Mine is considerably harder to get into first gear when the bike is at a full stop. Also, this problem is erratic - sometimes it goes into gear quite easily, even at a full stop. All my adjustments are to spec and my oil is new. My friend's bike has much more mileage (and all adjustments are to spec - I did them) and his bike goes into gear easily. Perhaps the springs pushing his clutch plates together are less powerful - but I would think that if the the clutch lever is pulled that this should make little difference. Anyway, the whole thing is a bit mysterious to me. My Honda goes into gear with almost zero resistance every time, even at a full stop.

Comment

Re: How smooth does your bike go into gear.

Originally posted by tlr289
                  Also, I noticed a little bit of oil at the bottom of the front sprocket cover...I would imagine that ,like a car, there is an output shaft seal there that is a little worn. I can't stand a leaky machine, even though there is only about 3 drops under where I park it, it will bug me until I fix it.

thanks for the help,
                  Trevor
                  '85 GS700E
                  The oil drip could be from several places. With these being located behind you front sprocket cover.
                  Seal where the clutch push rod goes through the engine.
                  Seal behind the Front Sprocket
                  Execss oil from when you lubed the chain.

Comment

thanks for the info... i didn't know about the adjustment behind the sprocket cover. Now, to the bigger problems...those are for later.

Trevor

Comment

NO, the 81 750 does NOT have that 2nd adjustment. The clutch arrangement on the 81 750 is the same as the 1100 and 1150 as there is only an arm on top of the transmission on the right side of the bike. The 77 through 79 740 and apparently the 700 series have the slotted screw and locknut BIlly is talking about and its located on the left case/sprocket cover.

Earl

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: How smooth does your bike go into gear.

Follow Billy's instructions. Do completely loosen your cable adjusters before adjusting the free play Billy is talking about. There can be no tension on the clutch cable when you set the rod clearance Billy is referring to.

Earl

Originally posted by tlr289
                        I was outside adjusting my clutch cable for about the last 15 min. and have been unable to get my bike to drop into first gear without any resistance. The friction point of the clutch changed and I was able to get it better but not go away. Is the cable just too far gone/stretched? Can't remember being on a bike that shifted in perfectly...but all have been much better than what I have now.

thanks for the help,
                        Trevor
                        '85 GS700E
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                        X