She wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She wont start

I have a 1980 gs850, she has been down on her right side. I have spark but not real bright. I can crank her all day until the battery runs dry with no vroom. When I put my hand over the carb and let suck once, that cylinder fires for awhile and then dies.
    The carbs have been cleaned three times, but not dipped.
    It acts like afuel problem but I cannot figure out what is not working right!
    Can anyone help?

When I put my hand over the carb and let suck once, that cylinder fires for awhile and then dies.
    do you mean you cover the intake of the choke? You really need to attach the airbox, as they are very sensitive to airflow.

Comment

RE she wont start

I have the air box off, and I place my hand over the intake of the carb (airbox side) after one suction it will try to fire on that cylinder only. The intake boots going from the air box to the carbs are shot. so is the air filter element. I am also residing at an altitude of 4000+ ft. But the bike was being used here for years, so it should be fine with the altitude. The spark plug of the cylinder that does fire is really black and sooty also

Comment

replace the boots, get a new air filter (may run ok without it temporarily) and then try. These things really hate improper air flow, and need reconnected correctly to work.

Comment

i have the tank hose running to the carbs, and a small hose running from the petcock to the intake side of the of the number two cylinder. then the two vaccum hoses just hang out over the top of the air box for atmospheric vaccum right?
          I have amanual coming but it's not here yet.
          I will be checking compression tonight after work. I have no spare intake airbox boots. do you know anyone whom has some decent spares?
          This bike is really blowing my mind. i have worked on sport twins, and single cylinder dirt bikes. But this is my first inline four. I have no options as far as coming up with the intake boots right now as the nearest shop is over an hour away from me. But if this model is anything like any other, it should run even with out the airbox although leaner than normal mixture as a result.

Comment

You won't get it running (when cold) without the airbox and filter. It's quite normal for a GS.
            The GS850 needs full choke and no throttle to get it started. That explains why one cylinder wants to run when you cover the carb intake.

Comment

Place the petcock in "Prime" position as you have not enough vacuum yet (engine is not running) to open the petcock in "run" position. Leave in prime for a minute or so. Turn petcock to "Run" position. Remove drain plug from each carb bowl and check that you had a near equal amount of fuel in each bowl. You can with the bowl plugs removed, switch the petcock to "Prime" at this point and be sure fuel flows from the drain of each bowl. Once you know you have fuel to all carbs. Put your drain plugs back in. Place the petcock on "Prime" . Apply full choke and crank over the engine. Should start. If not, take a flap from a cardboard box, cover the openings of all the carbs, crank a couple times, then pull the cardboard away as you continue to crank and see if the engine will fire. If after this you still have no fire. Pull the spark plugs to see if they are wet with fuel, or dry.

Comment

I forgot to mention.... make sure it is gasoline you have in the tank, and not diesel fuel, or lemonade. You will also need compressiion. at the very least 85PSI to fire. Spark is important too., but i think you said you have that.

Comment

Working...
                X