Point gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point gap

I was just wondering what type of feeler gauge I should use to check the point gap, I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use metal, is this true?

Satch

Re: Point gap

Originally posted by satchmo
    I was just wondering what type of feeler gauge I should use to check the point gap, I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use metal, is this true?

Satch

Never heard that in my life Alex, any bike i have owned with points i have just used a regular metal set of feeler gauges, i cannot see any problem using metal ones as there the only kind i know of
    John.

Comment

Re: Point gap

Someone is pulling your leg Alex. :-) I've only used a metal feeler guage and I can assure you, :-) :-) :-) it will work just fine for setting the point gap on your GS.

Earl

Originally posted by satchmo

Satch
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Chrysler first introduced "electronic ignition" no breaker points, late 60's early 70's, there was a "pickup" coil for which you could still check the air gap and adjust if necessary. It was recommended to use non-metalic feeler gauges. Probably due to the magnetic pole piece.

Comment

For sure, that wouldnt apply to a points ignition system motorcycle. eh eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by nert
          Chrysler first introduced "electronic ignition" no breaker points, late 60's early 70's, there was a "pickup" coil for which you could still check the air gap and adjust if necessary. It was recommended to use non-metalic feeler gauges. Probably due to the magnetic pole piece.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X