Carbs rebuilt, but #4 is still leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs rebuilt, but #4 is still leaking

I have a 1982 GS850GL and I put the carbs on yesterday after complete and thoughow rebuild and got it to run great, BUT, the #4 carb is still leaking. The bike is at least usable, but wasting a tremendous amount of fuel over night. i tried tapping, almost hitting carb with hammer, not sure if that did the trick yet, but could use any tips if anyone has any.
    Thanks

I don't think your carb is the only problem. I've not yet taken a GS carb apart, but as I understand it...

The fuel petcock should not be supplying fuel to the carb unless there is a vacuum in the little tube from the engine side of the carb to the petcock. Vacuum is supplied only if the engine is sucking in fuel/air mix, so there should be only 1 oz. of gas to leak from the carb bowl. Perhaps your petcock is leaky, continually supplying fuel to the carb leak. If you've accidentally left your petcock in PRIme position this would happen also.

Also, if the problem truly is your carb, take the bowl off and check the float level and needle valve. I worked on a Honda CB550 whose needle valve worked sometimes. My roommate, the owner, had already screwed up some of the other carbs, (he got pi55ed and took a hammer to it) so it was a all together a loss. I gave up.

Better luck to you.

Michael

Comment

You have two problems The first is that the petcock needs repair. The carb needs work also. Replace the 0 ring on the seat assembly if you have not done so. Recheck the float setting, Check/clean the needle to see if there are any grouves in the point replace it if needed

Comment

Leaky carb

On my 82 GS1100GK it was leaking from the feeder tube/nipple that was between #3 &#4 carb. Wasted a lot of fuel before I finally found it. My "old" Suzuki mechanic told me to spray it down with brake cleaner, give it time to dry good and then coat it with 5 minute epoxy. Stopped the leak cheap. You can remove the epoxy easily with a hot air gun later if you need to.

Comment

OK so the carbs still leak, but how is the gas getting into the crankcase ruining my oil? I need to prevent that so that riding it doesn't cause a bigger problem.

Comment

dude!! you got alot of problems on that scoot!!! So I read your post about the petcock, is that fixed? I have been having a similar problem with my GS650G. Where does is seem to leaking from? the drain bolt? the seal of the bowl? out the vent hose? try to dry it off and narrow it down sometime.

If it's the fiber gasket, I have had really good luck cutting my own from a sheet at checkers. x-actos are amazing things.

and don't go in the garage to smoke for awhile!!!

Comment

Petcock

I also had a petcock problem. I replaced the petcock vacuum line with clear fuel line. When I revved the engine I could see fuel getting sucked down the vacuum line. Replaced the petcok and all cured the other fuel milage problem. Up from 20MPG to 38 MPG highway.

Comment

Getting a new petcock is my next step. It runs great and I just put a new National Cycle windshield on it, so it looks good too. I'm hoping all my problems will disapear when I get the new petcock on there, but haven't had much luck finding one for a descent price, and the pet repair kits won't work for me since when I took it apart I noticed the metal piece was bent kinda funny. So I'm stuck getting a complete new one or finding a junk yard that carries them. No luck yet though.

Comment

Are you talking about the metal piece that sits in the hole the fuel flows through? It rotates when you turn the petcock knob (dial ... whatever you want to call it.)

When I first took mine apart I thought it had an odd bend to it. Sort of a lazy partial corkscrew if I remember correctly. Maybe this is the normal shape. I can't imagine that anybody had my petcock apart before I got my hands on it.

Anyway, I don't really know. I just thought I'd thow that out there just in case your petcock has a similar look. I have an '81 GS850GL. I ordered a petcock rebuild kit just today.

Comment

That metal piece is supposed to be bent. It has about a half loop of spring built into it. It's what pushes on the diaphram to make fuel flow in the prime position. If it is adjusted to make the rod too long fuel will always flow. Too short and you won't have a prime function. Adjust the length of it to where in run or reserve position no fuel flows. When on prime fuel will flow. When you disassemble a petcock you have to make sure you pull everything straight out or you may mangle that rod.

Comment

It doesn't push on the diaphram at all, it is a funny bend, it is definatly more of a mangleIF I pull it out of there and not have it on will it still function in the "ON" position just not in the "Prime"?

Comment

It'll work just fine if you pull it out. I mangled mine a year or so ago. You will lose prime though.

Comment

Working...
                        X