dyna ignition feed back please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna ignition feed back please

i would like to hear from anyone who has installed a dyna ignition into their 1980+ bikes. i would like to know if anyone who has the transistor type timing system notice any kind of performance increase in there bike after installing a dyna. i am thinking about gtting a dyna 3 but my igntion system seems to work fine, i installed accel coils which seems to help some and right now, i can't justify getting a new ignion system if it doesn't help increase performance and all i have read about is the guys who have replaced their point systems. so i would like some info about replacing the transistor system

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

I think it's a matter of cost

Comment

I just replaced my signal generator and igniter with a Dyna S ignition. The igniter went bad and rather than replace it for between $100 and $200 bucks I bought the Dyna S for $146 including shipping. It replaces both OEM parts and is supposedly a higher quality alternative.

Dyna sells it for $204 but I found a guy on Ebay who apparently gets them from Dyna and sells them at a lower profit margin. I can't tell you whether the performance has improved yet because I also discovered that my OEM coils were overheating after 5 minutes of running so I'm waiting for my new Accels to arrive...

It just seems to me that replacing two old OEM parts with one supposedly higher performance aftermarket product for the same price you'd pay for just one or the other OEM part makes sense.

One the other hand, if your bike is running reasonably well, I'd wait until one or the other part fails ... then buy the Dyna.

Hope this helps! 8)

Comment

Dyna is having a sale They may be discontinuing them for the older bikes when current stock is sold

Comment

Dyna

Are they dropping their wholesale prices; can you get one on sale anywhere, or just through Dyna? Also, has anyone had any dealings with Schnitz Racing? They have pretty good prices on a Dyna S, but only if they actually deliver what they promise.
          1979 GS 1000

Comment

SqDancerLynn1, matter of cost of what compared to what? if i can afford them should i get them. will they actaully help my bike in any form?

ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

i dont think many people here have the Dyna setup...i can only compare it to stock points...which it is far better then.

i think you got your bike running pretty good Ryan, i'd just stick with the stock ignition since you dont have a lot of miles on it yet.

~Adam

Comment

I have the Dyna 2000 on my 1150. There is a big difference in performance from the original. I can't say how much but it definitely pulled a lot better after it was installed.

I used to run with a 90 GSXR 750. He had stage 3 kit in his carbs, race pipe and Dyna coils. I would beat him when we played around but when he added the Dyna 2000 we were very even. He sold the bike the year I bought the Dyna system. (He got a TL 1000 R) I wish we could have seen the difference in my bike with the new ignition installed.

If your ignition box dies I would definitely go with the Dyna. I think the stock one was 500 Canadian and I bought the Dyna for less than that, around 380 I think. It's been in my bike for four years without any problems.

Gerry

Comment

I can not get a steady timing flash with my timing light. The timing marks jump about with in a 30' range. I can hear the exhaust tone change at the same time matching the timing fluctuations. The ohms reading is good from signal generator, can only imagine it must be the igniter getting mixed up. I didn't want to change to a Dyna unit, because i thought i had to find and bolt on a mechanical advance unit.

So does the Dyna S replace my signal generator and igniter and provide a spark advance without installing a mechnaical advance unit from a "points" version of my 82' GS2200GL ??

Comment

You need the Dyna 2000 for your bike It doesn't require the mechanical advance It is all micro processer controled with an adjustable timing curve

Comment

Its interesting you get unsteady timing on an electronic ignition. The big benefit from the electronic ignition over the points is the rock steady timing, even with the mechanical advance.

If the standard ignition is supply sufficient spark, more won't do anything to performance. When the standard bits let go, you will know the meaning of a more cost effective replacement!

Comment

saaz
                        no, fluctuating timing isn't interesting, its frustrating!
                        don't know if its cause or affect! any ideas.

Comment

I put a Dyna S on my GS1000 1980.
                          I changed the coils and wires at the same time and attribute
                          most of the perfomance increases to that.

I put the Dyna in because my CDI fried,
                          I bought it for $90 on ebay.

I was having some predetonation when it got warmed up.
                          Someone suggest retarding the timing, I retarded it roughly
                          1 degree and NO MORE KNOCKING!!!

It's great to be able to adjust the timing.

Mo

Comment

Don't think, just buy =; ....my Dyna III is in the mail. For $99 bucks, its a steal considering it used to cost more than twice that. The bike already runs great but I still want to get a hotter spark and more steady idle. No points to worry about....ever! Everybody that has put one in basically says that the bike runs better and more efficiently. Also, I heard that Dyna is going to discontinue a few of their models.........

Comment

Originally posted by nert
                              saaz
                              no, fluctuating timing isn't interesting, its frustrating!
                              don't know if its cause or affect! any ideas.

Try looking at your cam chain, if it is slopping around a bit it can cause this. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X