Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjustment for manual cam chain tensioners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustment for manual cam chain tensioners.

I'm thinking of replacing my stock spring loaded one, with an A.P.E. manual tensioner. My question, after the initial adjustment, how do you know when to add a little tension? Do you wait for the chain to start making some noise? Do you, as part of your regular maint' schedule, deliberately back off the tensioner and then re-adjust until chain noise goes away? Every 2000 miles, or?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

The instructions will come with the manual tensioner. You basically tighten until you can feel some tension then back off 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Pretty easy to do.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Swanny. Do you have one on your bike? If so, do you recommend it? How often do you adjust it?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm using one on the 1100 I'm building, that's how I know about the adjustment. I don't have any experience yet on how often to adjust. It seems simple enough that you could do it whenever you thought about it. I would do it more frequently at first until I got a feel for the adjustment interval.

Comment

Working...
        X