Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to change the seals around the shifter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard is it to change the seals around the shifter??

I've finally got everything I need to change the oil in my '81 GS650G!!! it may well be the first time since it left the factory as it has been passed down five times and only ridden short periods of it's 22 years! (I'm sure someone changed it, but it's definitely due )

So my question here is how hard is it to replace the seals on the shifter bar where it exits the engine?? It has leaked oil from there since I got it, and I may as well take care of it. Does anybody have any hints, pointers, suggestions?? Anything is welcome, as my career as a small engine mechanic is only just getting started!!!

THanks a ton!!!
    nate

i think changing that seal might require splitting the case...which is something no one wants to do...

Comment

If you're referring to the place pictured below, it's not a big deal. At least on my bike, the area surrounding the gearshifter is a cover over the sprocket. When I fixed my "leak" it turned out to be stuff from the chain, not the engine.

If your bike and problem are like mine it's not a hard fix. Just be sure to use an impact driver to loosen the cover because those screws are in there hard and you can easily strip the heads.

Michael

Comment

the shifter area on my 550 is a bit different...

this was from the 78 which i just sold...(of course it wasn't like that anymore)

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          the shifter area on my 550 is a bit different...
          Yeah, that's the area under the cover. My leak was just from the cover, not the case itself.

Michael

Comment

hmmm... I'll hafta get a picture of it and post it up. Neither of those looks much like mine. I've got a long bar between the shift pedal and where it enters the engine, almost near the middle. the leak is right around that bar.

thanks so far!!! I may just have to leave it and clean it!!!

just wondering, does this site have a picture page so we can link them in the forum or do we have to find our own server?

Comment

I don't think GSR has any space available for such pics. However, some people use Yahoo! or other online photo album hosting. I have web space anyway, so I just use it.

Michael

Comment

The 750s and up don't have the middle linkage, the shifter mounts directly on the shaft and I think the shaft may go right into the main case, the 550 and 450 look very similar from what I can see of the pic. I use Angelfire to store my pics, a lot of free places don't allow direct linking and stuff.

Comment

I don't know how your bike is configured, but on the 1100 the shift shaft goes all the way through to the clutch side of the motor. You don't have to split the cases on the 1100, but you do have to remove the clutch and pull out the shift shaft. The seal is easy to replace after that.

Note that the output shaft is close to the shift shaft. You could be leaking from that seal instead. If that is the case, the you will have to split the cases.

Clean it up good and isolate the leak first.

Comment

the pictures present probably gs650e (chain drive) ??

gs650g (shaft drive) is different... in order to change the shifter oil gear You must split the engine, as mentioned.

For first aid You could use grease or silicone around the seal/shifter area.

Comment

sorry... splitting the cases is not necessary, just remove the clutch as swanny said.

I've once done this when the engine was removed from the frame... but probably when the engine is in place, too

Comment

Working...
                      X