charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging question

Mi GS850G's battery is at about 16.25V with the bike turned off. When I crank it the battery dropes to about 14V and at 4500RPM the battery reads about 17.5V should I be concerned? I cant believe the battery reads 4V over normal with the bike shut off.

Wow! First thing I'd do is get another voltmeter and verify those readings. I've seen as high as 13 volts on a standing battery. 16 sounds excessive.

Comment

that is very excessive, the battery voltage should drop down to close to correct levels from over charging, after it has sat for about a hour.
      if the voltage is reading that high after it has sat for over a hour, I would suspect the meter is reading incorrectly.

you should not see over 14.5 volts with the engine running.
      voltage over 14.5, indicates a bad regulator, or possibly a bad ground to the regulator.

Comment

The 16.25 Volts is the real indication that you have a problem with your voltmeter or VOM.

A new standard lead acid cell shouldn't produce more than about 2.15V per cell and with 6 cells that gives 12.90 as the max for the battery. Most batter manufactures state the open circuit voltage for their batteries as being about 12.7V when new.

Mike

Comment

The battery gave that reading after siting for a while. I parked it at about 10am and took the volt reading almost 24 hours later. I talked to my father about it and I also forgot to mention on my deep cycle boat battery my meter says its nearly 22V when my charger says its fully charged so my father said to toss out the meter and get a new one.

Comment

Working...
          X