GS750 '79 vs '81 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 '79 vs '81 carbs

I have an '81 with basket case carbs, I will sort things out eventually but I may be able to buy a set of '79 carbs (non-cv style) for cheap. Two questions:

1- will they work as a direct bolt on (until I can rehab the originals)
    2- are parts interchangable in these carbs, floats, needle valves, etc (obviously the slides and such are different)

I can answer part of your question, but I'm iffy on other parts.

You can "direct bolt-on" the VM carbs, but you will also need a two cable push/pull throttle cable assembly. (The VM carbs use a double, the CV carbs use a single, at least the few that I have seen.)

You might (probably) be able to use your CV carb induction boots with the VM carbs, but you might have to get the induction boots for the VM carbs, if the VM carbs you're getting don't come with them.

Although certain parts are interchangeable inside the carbs, you almost certainly have different jet sizes, needles, etc. They may be "interchangeable", but they won't be "set up" right for your application.

Also, a little known fact that could screw you up if you don't know it, is that with the VM carbs, the petcock vacuum comes off the #3 carb nipple. On the CV carbs, the petcock vacuum comes of the #2 carb.

Others here on the GSR are expert on this matter. Just wait for a few more posts here, before you go forward.

Comment

I have read on this forum that on the 1000 models the VM and vacuum carbs can't be interchanged because of the size of the inlet ports. I'm not sure if that is the case for the 750's but it might be.

Comment

Don't do it Try to find a good set of used carbs, even going to a later model. Your intake boots will not fit, your air box will not fit, None of the carb parts interchangable

Comment

Working...
        X