Not enough spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not enough spark

I just put the carbs back in a GS300 that sat in a garage for 15 years. Turns over just fine, all reality it should run except for now I get very little spark. I had the plug out and I see the slightest spark possible. I tested the coils, Testing between the Pos and Neg I get 4 ohms, right where it should be. From neg connector to wire I get 12 ohms, manual says I should get 22-25. I'm trying to avoid having to spend $90 each coil, And its the ones where the wire is a part of the unit. Anyone know the proper way to test the stator, such as can I test it at the connection to the coil, what should I get as a reading, or just at stator itself. Anyone that can help would be great, I've been looking on e bay for coils not too easy to find the type I need........

What does the stator (charging system) have to do with the coils (ignition system)?

Look in Tips and Tricks for suggestions on replacement coils.

Comment

Check and make sure the battery is good and fully charged. Check the voltage at the coils and at the ign module make sure you have 12 volts. If you don't check the ign switch, loose coroded fuses.

Comment

You got spark (even a small one), it should start, IF you got fuel and compression. Take compression check. Should start if you have at least 85PSI. Do you have fuel? after cranking and you pull the plug is it wet?
        Put the petcock in the prime position. If you have points, you may want to clean the contacts with a piece of fine sand paper or emery board. Folding the sand paper over (2 sandy sides) will clean both contacts on one set of points.

Comment

Getting fuel, I sprayed starting fluid in there, still got nothing...

Comment

Did you check compression? You may want to spray some light oil in each cylinder (sitting 15 years) to free up the rings and provide a secondary seal temporarily.
            When you pull the plugs are they wet?
            Check coils
            Remove spark plugs from engine, attach to spark plug wires, lay the plugs on the cylinder head so the plug "case" is grounded. With the igniter/points wires "-" disconnected from the coil. Turn the ignition on, use a length of wire attached to ground and repeadidly touch it off and on to the coils "-" terminal. You should see a spark at the spark plugs, and a small flash at the "-" terminal as you make and break connection. If you do coils are working, at least enough to make an engine run.
            Perform these test and see where we are.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG
              Getting fuel, I sprayed starting fluid in there, still got nothing...
              if you sprayed ether-based starting fluid and it did not fire, you can narrow it down to igition. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
              X