1980 GS1100ex issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100ex issues

i have a 1980 GS1100 ex and am having some issues with the bike running correctly. Just took it in for a tune up and valve adjustment and aside from being several hundred dollars poorer the bike still seems to be running poorly.

The bike has about 36000 miles on it, and the mechanic said the right cabeurator is leaking gas either due to a broken float or gasket. Would this problem affect the bike running smoothly at idle, and is it an easy undertaking to correct?

I find the bike idleing very poorly when the engine is cold, and sometimes if i put the choke on it will stall the bike, or the bike wont even start with the choke on in which case i will have to turn the choke off to start the bike?

Any Recommendations on a type of tire for a rear tire replacement?

Looking for a good working windshield, and alternative handlebars if anyone has any suggestions, thanks.

I have same bike and same expreince and would like to share my two yaer story.

First I think the charing system problem because the battery can last loneger. Then I replaced the whole system by Electrolex.
    Battery are better head light is brighter but after sometime it was still hard to start.
    Clean the carbs and directly connect the two charing wiring from the R/R to the battery, charing problem fixed. A lot of power from the battery for starter. but sitll hard to start, battery sometime run out after a lot of starting trial in the morning.
    What's wrong?
    Using the DC clamp meter to check the current for the stater, it was very high, starter problem.
    Open the starter motor, one for the magent was loos and causing the starter drawing high current and make the voltage drop under 10V, therefore the ignition box would not work and giving out power to the spark plugs.
    Replaced the startor motor, starting is improved and no charging problem. Idle is sitll not good or even can not keeping it before warm up. Also a loudy nosie from cam chain at idle, hitting and hitting again. But sometime is still can not start, my God, waste money and waste time.

Finally, replace the CV carbs by Keihin 37mm CR carbs and syn the carbs with larger slow jet. Everyting is OK now. Starting no problem, idle no problem, no hitting noise from cam chain.

Hope you would not like me with a lot of problem.

Addy Leung

Comment

carbs?

so for you, the carbs were a big issue. did you replace the entire carbeurator? or did you just replace a part?

Comment

Orthok ,

I replaced the complete set CV carbs with CR carbs and installed with all the stock air boxes and go with a washable K&N filter.

Addy

Comment

1100EX issues

You should be able to solve your problem with the help of this site. Parts wise.

Sometimes the float needle assembly mesh screen, o-rings, or the needle itself get clogged with debris or just wear out. If there's a ring dent around where the needle itself seats, fuel could be passing by causing an overly rich condition. If it starts without choke its too rich unless its 75 plus where you live.

My rusty gas tank clogged the mesh screens on my old 1100 causing the problem you describe. Get an inline fuel filter as well.

Also check the float height and determine the jet sizes and whether or not carbs, or airfuel mixture screws have been fiddled with previously. (hidden under aluminum cap on top front of each carb, facing the engine.) Or the cap may have been removed already.

The needle assembly for one carb will cost about $35. If you get mentally prepared to fiddle with the carbs, it actually can be a rewarding experience. Carter
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
          X