GS850G 1979 speedo problems???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G 1979 speedo problems???

I am not an expert at mesuring speed but I would imagine in 5th gear at 3000rpm I am doing more than 35MPH. Seems my speedo dose not want to go over 35-40mph. A friend said I need to take it apart and clean the magnets dose that sound right? Any tips or tricks on how to do it fast and easy? thanks in advance.

Clean up the whole thing, especially moving parts. I'd suggest lube with silicone afterward. I would think that the problem may lie in some gummy stuff on the axle/pivot, preventing the speedo from turning farther.

One test you could run on it is to measure the voltage going to the coils at different speeds, just to make sure the problem is actually in the meter, not somewhere else. Of course, it would be pretty difficult to hold the meter on at speed. Probably just needs cleaning.

Good luck.

Comment

Both 1/2 right.

Both your friend and mopolopo are 1/2 right. Above the magnet is a dome. When the magnet spins inside the dome it makes the needle turn. The needle is attached to the dome wich turns further the faster the magnet spins. The sapy chain lube like stuff that lubes the speedo needs to be thined down with WD-40. The tricky part is getting the WD above the dome to the shaft that your needle is fixed to. Its easy to spray the gears and anything bellow the dome, but its the shaft above the dome that is sticking.

Comment

Got Pictures?

Chris,

I'm sold. I've taken the speedo on my 81 650G apart more times than I can count but can't get past the (appearently) sealed unit. Any Advice?

Kurt Worden

I'll pass on smelling your finger ... don't care if you smelled it first.

Comment

Working...
        X