Brake reservoir leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake reservoir leaks

Hi all! My 1980 GS850 has developed an `interesting`problem with its front brake master cylinder reservoir. The seal inside seems to have deformed when it was `pinched`when the top was screwed tightly onto it, subsequently it now leaks no matter how I,ve tried to sort it out :x Do any of you GSers out there have any tips on how I can get round this, because I can`t seem to get hold of a replacement?

try everywhere possible to get a replacement, is my best solution. By this I mean ALL the online parts places. Unfortunately the part may be NLA, if so I suggest a VERY light smear of silastic sealant around the lid and housing and allow it to set before refitting the top to help the seal to seal. But be aware this is a TEMPORARY fix only, change to a different master cylinder (off a wreck) if you cannot get the part relatively soon.
    Dink

Comment

Thanks Dink. I,ll continue to check the net...but a visit to the`breakers` looks on the cards.

Comment

When I checked a couple of years ago, new aftermarket master-cylinders were readily available for my '81 1100E. I've seen them in several catalogs. Check Dennis Kirk at www.denniskirk.com

Comment

It looks like all of the parts for the master seal diaphragm and such are available on line from BikeBandit and Ron Ayers.

Mike

Comment

I replaced the master on my '85 750ED simply because the cover screws were stripped, and the inspection window was hazed so I couldn't see the brake fluid level.

I jumped on an ebay auction for the entire triples from an early 90's Katana - complete with controls, front master and clip-ons. I swapped out the controls and master (%#^$*& clip-ons wouldn't work!!), and sold the triple and bars to someone at katanaplanet.com

The master is near new, and I now have a 4-position adjustable brake lever. It's also a dream to have the newer controls, including a push-button cancelling turnsignal switch, and a standard plunger-type brake light switch instead of the corrosion-prone GS slider switch.

I think I paid 120 bucks (including shipping) for the complete assembly, which also came with both 4-piston front calipers still connected to the brake lines!! I made 40 bucks back on the triple and bars, and may re-sell the calipers if I can't find a good deal getting a pair of brackets made for them. All in all, I'm out 80 bucks for new controls, new m/c, and a pair of very serviceable 4-piston calipers. Might be a way to go for you - even generic master cylinders are expensive new....

-Q!

Comment

Is it just not flat or is it really shot?

its probably the cap or the gasket. If the surface of the master is not meeting flat to the cap you could try to make it flat again with a piece of sand paper on a flat surface. You would have to remove the master cylinder. Then put the sand paper on a known perfectly flat surface. Glass is usually flat, and so is the metal top of my work table. A little rubing on the paper it should be flat again. If its messed up anyway what have you got to loose.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys..Its the diaphram seal which is deformed & I know that `Bikebandit` stock them (If they ship to the U.K?).
                As luck would have it.. ebay U.K have a guy selling an appropriate seal & lid, but for a GS1000. According to the `bikebandit` schematic the part no. is different, but it looks pretty dam near... what your opinion..should I bid or not? :?

Comment

Working...
                X