Replacement handlebars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement handlebars.

I am trying to return my GS850 to stock after removing the Vetta Fairing. I have replaced the stock fork ears & headlight, and am currently rounding up some signals. I am now trying to replace the stock bars back onto the moto from the existing ones. Does anyone know what the pullback, rise, and center width were on the originals. I have an 850G if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated, and if need be I can go and purchase what I think may be right from the pics I have seen, but some hard nos. have to exist somewhere.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Sure. It's easy. I have 1981 GS850 bars I bought some time ago, but never used.....just have to dig in the garage for them, and then measure them.

Will check it in the morning.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

www.ebay.com is your best bet

Comment

Gathering dust in the garage...

I have the stock bars off my '83 GS850G sitting in the garage.

If you ask me, they are WAY too tall if you ever ride faster than 30MPH. I hated the stock bars immediately and changed them out as soon as I could.

Email me at bw@bwringer.com if you still need measurements. Hell, I'll send 'em to you if you want 'em.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I also feel the stock bars sit too high. It sounds like you may be making two changes that work against each other. If you are going to return to the high bars, you would want to leave the fairing on. Otherwise you are going to be sitting up in the wind and holding on to keep from getting blown backward at highway speed. Without a fairing, or at least a good windshield, you would want to be leaning forward into the wind at least slightly.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I guess that my intention was to get rid of the high rise bars that I have and to move both more forward and lower. I seems like the pics that I have from my manuals have lower bars with less setback on them. I can wing it and find bars that might suit me, but I thought that by returning to the stock bars that they might be a close approximation to what I wanted. Thanks for all of your advice, and I will go that route. Thanks, Wayne.

Comment

guess that my intention was to get rid of the high rise bars that I have and to move both more forward and lower.
              Sorry, I thought the bars you were taking off the bike were lower than stock, not higher. Those must really be some ape hangers.

DonP
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

The high rise factory handle bars are just about the only thing I don't like about my bike.I just picked up a set of bars at the bike salvage lot down the road.They look to be about 4 inches shorter on the rise and about the same pull back.I can't wait to try em out this week end

Comment

I am a week late in replying....my apologies...I forgot the rise on stock 81 850G handlebars.....rise is 8 inches
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Daytona bend...

I replaced the stock bars on my 83 GS850G with a "Daytona" bend bar from Dennis Kirk.

This puts your hands about 4" lower and just a bit further forward, creating a slight forward lean. For me, it's perfect -- up to about 70MPH I don't have to pull on the bars to keep myself upright, and at low speeds the pressure on my hands is minimal.

I'm 6'1" tall, with a 32" inseam. Depending on your personal dimensions and/or mutations, you might find the same bar to your liking.

I'd hate to see the warped mutant of a test rider that picked out the stock bars. He must have weighed about 80 pounds, with a weak spine and delicate posterior, judging from the pathetic stock shocks and fork springs.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I put a set of Flanders Daytona bars on my 1980 GS850GL but I found them to be too far forward for me (5'9", 160lbs). I now have a set of Flanders Suzuki E bars that feel just right to me.

Comment

GS850 Handlebars

The standard GS handlebar is the one thing I don't like about these bikes but if you want one here are the stock specs: Height-4", Pullback-10" (!), Center Distance-4.5", Width-29.5". I thought I was driving a wheelbarrow before I ditched them for some Superbike bars. Here's a good resource:http://www.650motorcycles.com/mikesimages8.html.

Comment

Working...
                        X