Any dyna ignition for a gs650g???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any dyna ignition for a gs650g???

I've been to Dyna's website and emailed them about any ignition system for the 650, and have been told they don't make any of their ignitions for the 650. Is this correct? Anyone with a 650 using a Dyna ignition? If so which one? Any insite is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Dyna told you this? I do not think that is correct but they obviously know better than me. That can't be right? WTF?

I just got the Dyna III for my 77gs550 but mine has the mechanical advancer. Don't think yours does. Anybody got any ideas? They got one for your bike...........

Comment

That's probably why they said it couldn't be done. I really don't see why it couldn't either.
      On the 650GL parts bike I have, it had a mechanical advancer plate on it and weights when I got it, even though it supposed to be the transitorized ignition from the factory (it's a bastard bike anyway). I've since sold the plate and weights. I'm not at all for sure what models you can get the plate from though. Anyone??
      The biggest obstacle when buying the Dyna setup is knowing which style of points (there's 2) came off the plate you're using.

Comment

Re: Any dyna ignition for a gs650g???

I have a 1980 1100 engine with factory electronic ignition and a 1981 750 engine with electronic ignition. Both of these engines retained the mechanical advancer from the factory. I believe starting with 1982, the mechanical advance was eliminated and Suzuki went to a completely electronic system
        Does your 650 have the mechanical advance unit behind the breaker plate?
        Is your 650 electronic ignition? Breaker plate diameters are the same between various models, so that fitting that part should be no problem.
        To determine if what type of ignition system you have, look at your ignitor box. It will say (for example Nippondensco xxxxx-xxxx) The only two types of ignition systems I have seen on Suzuki's is Kokosan and ND (nippondensco) The breaker plates for the two are the same, but the rotor and pick up spacing on the plate is different, so you need to know which one you have.

My guess is that you will find a mechanical advance unit behind the breaker plate on your 650 and you will be able to use the same breaker plate unit as the 750.

The Majority of kokosan systems were on 550's and a few early 750's. I've never heard of one being factory installed on a 650. Take a look at what you have and I can check dimensions, etc of the various systems I have in my shop and maybe find something that will work for you.

Earl

Originally posted by linksl1
        I've been to Dyna's website and emailed them about any ignition system for the 650, and have been told they don't make any of their ignitions for the 650. Is this correct? Anyone with a 650 using a Dyna ignition? If so which one? Any insite is appreciated.

Thanks,
        Steve
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

go to dragbikeparts.com they have used dyna stuff for the gs cheap.

Comment

Working...
          X