Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise in front wheel/steering column??

This is my newest out-of-the-blue what-the-heck-is-the-problem problem:

I was biking around tonight, and noticed that the front end seemed to be making some noise. Things I noted:

1. I replaced the front tire recently, which included me taking off and putting on the front wheel myself. I cleaned/greased everything up myself and can't see where I could have gone wrong.

2. The noise (wish I could immitate it here) seemed to be a mix between a high-pitched rubbing noise (similar to chalk on a chalkboard, but not as shrill) and a sucking noise (pulling those last bits of milkshake out of the cup with a straw). I think I've heard similar noises on cars sometimes when they turn with the stearing wheel cranked all the way to one side or the other...or maybe it's a radiator noise I'm thinking of...who knows.

3. As best I can tell, the noise seems to be coming from the front wheel area. However, I've been having trouble recently with something that could possibly be related to fuel starvation, so I'm also wondering if it could be the petcock or something trying to suck fuel past a partly clogged area. It's possible that the noise is coming from more directly under me, but it seems to be the front wheel.

4. I can't figure out what speeds/turns cause it. It is not continuous, but seems to come on in bursts. It was rather cold tonight, and happened perhaps 1/4 of the time I was riding overall. I could hear it a fair amount at fairly slow speeds (less than 15 mph), and think it sorta went away at higher speeds (like 30 mph). But it could be that the noise of the bike just over powers it at that point. My bike is louder than it should be due to drilled out mufflers. Also, I get the noise both when turning and going straight.

Anyone had similar noises or have any suggestions on what to look at??...perhaps something rubbing?...front caliper? Thanks.

--Tyler

Re: Noise in front wheel/steering column??

Originally posted by OneStaple
    2. The noise (wish I could immitate it here) seemed to be a mix between a high-pitched rubbing noise (similar to chalk on a chalkboard, but not as shrill) and a sucking noise (pulling those last bits of milkshake out of the cup with a straw). I think I've heard similar noises on cars sometimes when they turn with the stearing wheel cranked all the way to one side or the other...or maybe it's a radiator noise I'm thinking of...who knows.
    I've been told that the signature noise or a car steering wheel cranked all the way is due to the power steering vacuum leaking at that point. There is no vacuum in a bike's front wheel, so it's not the same sound for the same reason. However, there is a vacuum hose going from the carb to the petcock (unless it's modded, like mine), and the engine does form a vacuum to suck air/fuel mix in to it. All that said, you can look at possible leaks, but I doubt either of these vacuums (or is it vacua?) would cause a sound like that.

3. As best I can tell, the noise seems to be coming from the front wheel area. However, I've been having trouble recently with something that could possibly be related to fuel starvation, so I'm also wondering if it could be the petcock or something trying to suck fuel past a partly clogged area. It's possible that the noise is coming from more directly under me, but it seems to be the front wheel.
    This could be an application for a mechanic's stethescope, or the cheapo workaround, a dowel or other stick between the bike and your ear. Just be sure to put your thumb between your ear and the stick. You don't want a stick shoved in there, do ya?

I just bought a mechanic's stethescope on sale at my local Harbor Freight for $2.50. See it at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41966.

Unfortunately, your sound only happens while rolling, which makes diagnosis a little tough. You could ride the bike in an empty parking lot or street while awkwardly probing around the engine... OR you could put the bike on its centerstand, have a friend sit on the back to tip it back, and listen while the front tire rolls. You could also check the rear tire rolling in neutral or clutch, etc. Anyway, see what you can do with the centerstand and stethescope.

4. I can't figure out what speeds/turns cause it. It is not continuous, but seems to come on in bursts. It was rather cold tonight, and happened perhaps 1/4 of the time I was riding overall. I could hear it a fair amount at fairly slow speeds (less than 15 mph), and think it sorta went away at higher speeds (like 30 mph). But it could be that the noise of the bike just over powers it at that point. My bike is louder than it should be due to drilled out mufflers. Also, I get the noise both when turning and going straight.
    You could get up to speed, go to neutral, close the throttle and hit the kill switch, and then find out if you can still hear it. Remember to let off the throttle though. Kill switch stops the spark from going, but does not cut off fuel. I hear that an exhaust pipe full of gas will blow itself to pieces when you light up again.

According to ozman in another topic:
    when we were young and a little out of control we used to take the 2 door v8 chev with side pipe past the local golf club. get up to 80-90 mph turn the key off for about 10 secs the turn it back on .it would launch a flame out about 6 foot long and scare the s*** out of a heap of golfers. we thought it was great laugh. another guy i know tried it after seeing us he did not realize we had straight through muffler. blew the end of his muffler about 50 yards into the golf course. ozman
    Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Michael

Comment

I took it out tonight to test it (although not for long, as it was cold and I only had shorts on at the time). I started by warming the bike up by just riding it around a little. Heard the same noise once or twice while doing so. Then I took it to a hill, put it in neutral, turned the bike off, and let it drift down, getting it up to about 15 mph tops. Did that about five times, and didn't hear the noise at all. When riding it back up, I heard it once (maybe twice).

Anyway, it didn't seem to be happening quite as often as last night. I'm also not totally satisfied that I tested it enough in the above method to rule much out, cause I was getting cold and wanted to come in. Just a random thought that came to mind though...could it be anything with the transmission/clutch? Haven't had problems with that, but who knows.

--Tyler

Comment

Took the bike out again tonight (it's been out of commission for a couple weeks), and noticed some other things.

For one, it was rather cold, and the noise was happening a lot. Especially at lower speeds, the noise was often almost continuous. At one point, I also just had it sitting and idling, and the noise was still present, meaning that it isn't something that is a result of being in motion. Also, the noise seems to be somewhat related to the rpms and/or how far the clutch is in...couldn't figure out which. Also, it almost seems to be coming from just under the speedo display. Don't know of anything under there that would make such a noise.

While out there, I also thought of something that it really sounded like, but at this point, can't remember it to save my life. Think squeeking type thing. I'll post it if I can remember.

Any additional thoughts?? Thanks.

--Tyler

Comment

From what you describe, only with engine running, in the front underneath your steering, varies at RPM, and no sound when coasting on a dead engine, leads me to believe you have an exhaust leak coming from the head area of the bike. that screech/sucking sound you describe leads me to this. If not exhaust, then losing compression from head gasket ( same type noise, in same general location. :twisted:

Comment

Ok, assuming it's one of those two, how would I go about figuring out both which it is, and where exactly it is, other than just trying to listen? It's not a constant sound, but rather likes to happen for a few seconds, then stop for a few (and repeat).

--Tyler

Comment

For teh head gasket, look for oil leakage, or spray on some soapy water, while engine is cold, and start engine, see if it bubbles. For exhuast gasket, you have to get close and listen for it right where pipe enters head :twisted:

Comment

I don't have much to add to this discussion but here are some tips and things to consider.

Mopolopo suggested using a dowel to listen to the internals. Here is the dowel tip. Put one end between your teeth and plug your ears with your fingers. Put the other end on the engine where you want to hear what's going on and you will hear it all.

If it is a combustion leak or a an exhaust header leak, you may be able to feel it. Be careful not to burn yourself. Just feel close without touching. Consider that sometimes these leaks occur where no oil will leak out, and sometimes, when the engine gets hot and swells a bit, the leak will stop.

Comment

My 450 was doing something similar.

Try disconnecting the speedo cable and see if the noise goes away. On mine it was the speedo, which I then cracked open and sprayed WD-40 on everything inside. Noise went away.

FWIW, it started when the weather cooled off. Came and went, etc..

Kurt Kesler

Comment

If it's coming from under, or behind, the instruments, & only with engine running, disconnect the tach cable & see if it goes away.

Comment

Working...
                    X