Having problems with starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having problems with starter

It is not working properly...sometimes it starts sometimes it does not...what is the deal.....Do you think it is a short or what????It happened when it was hot...Very hot outside..what would be the cause in ur opinions 8O

Something I alway suggest before people tear into the starter is to check the cluch safety switch.

Comment

Also check the kill switch. It may look to be in the run position - on the other hand just maybe a quick flick off and on might be the problem.

Comment

Al,

Both Colin and Jay make good suggestions. I have had problems with both switches. A good cleaning of the contacts and lubrication took care of the problem. Just be careful of all the tiny springs and balls. Check all of your electrical connections for corrosion or looseness. Another possibility is the solenoid is going bad. If the switches are in good working order but the solenoid clicks and the motor does not turn over, do this:
        1. MAKE SURE THE MOTORCYCLE IS IN NETURAL
        2. Take a screwdriver and touch both terminals on the top of the solenoid. If the motor turns over then the solenoid is bad.
        3. If solenoid does not even click, then that is another sign that the solenoid is bad.

If you still do not get the starter motor to turn over by jumping the two solenoid terminals, there is probably something wrong with the starter motor. Pull it out, disassemble it and check the brushes for wear and tear. Clean everything with electrical cleaner, especially the commutator (that is the part where the brushes ride on the rotor). You may have to take some fine sandpaper and sand the commutator. Put in new brushes if necessary (they are not cheap). Reassemble and put it back in.

Hap

Comment

That's why REAL bikes have kick starters, he, he. 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.....I really think it is a bad connection..I will try that first.........Thanks for the replies..........I wish I had a Kick Starter

Comment

Starter Problems

Must be contaigous, my GS1100G's starter refused to work Saturday at Cape Flattery. WA. It is an easy bike to bump start, even with full camp gear on board.

Have been diagnosing it and in my case it it the starter; everything else checked out OK. My book says the fuel tank and carbs and cam chain adjuster set up must be removed in order to remove the starter. Not so. With fiddling it can come out without disturbing all of those things.

Found brushes and brush holder in Dennis Kirk catalog.

Found this website that has a starter in stock for $149.00 including shipping: http://www.dbelectrical.com/motorcycle/motorcycle

Hope you're back on the road soon and me too.

Joe the slow

Comment

Clutch safety switch

The clutch safety switches are a real pain in the #$%$. I bypassed mine as soon as I bought the bike. It's very easy to do and then it's one less thing to think about.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Starter Problem Diagnosed

Pulled the starter motor apart last night. Of the four brushes there remained only a stub of one the rest had been worn to dust, the armature was grooved about 1/8th inch in the brush wear path, however the oil seal and needle bearing at the drive gear end were good. It looks to me like this starter motor is pretty strong to function until the third brush bit the dust.

Comment

Hey, Joe! Didn't you used to play second base for the Cincinnati Reds?

The two-brush starter on earlier GS's will fit the newer GS's just fine. It will last much longer, too! I replaced a four-brush stock starter with a two-brush starter off a 1979. Not only did it fit perfectly; it did not wear out.

Nick

Comment

Baseball?

Sorry, no baseball in my past. Just work, which has always been fun. Thanks for the tip on two brush starters.

Comment

Working...
                      X