Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinkers as a function of RMP

Hi Guys,
    I was out riding today and my blinkers started to go haywire. For some reason the faster I run the engine the faster they blink!? I checked the voltage and it ISN'T my "new to me" regulator/rectifier going bad. Are there any automotive blinkers that work with our bikes? The current one I have is from my now recycled Chevy Cavalier and it blinked too fast from the get go.

Thanks guys, Steve

ps. I'm gonna look for damaged wires but I don't think I have a short to ground.

sounds like a voltage problem, what is the voltage at the battery with the engine off, then compare it with readings with the engine at idle, then 2000rpm,3000rpm, ect. up to 6000rpm.
    your voltage should not go over 15 volts (14.5 volts is best for battery and bulb life).
    if the voltage goes over 15 volts then the regulator is not working correctly.
    check the ground wire coming out of the regulator, make sure it has good contact.

Comment

You know, i've used blinker units from different cars. I prefer the solid state units, because of the symptom you describe. The more amperage that goes through, the faster they blink. This is by design... The blinker unit is just a bi-metalic strip that bends when it gets hot. The more current that goes through, the faster it bends. When it bends, it breaks contact, cools and straightens. A very simple part. The electronic unit works the same way, but is less sensitive to the changes in current.

Tim

Comment

Well, I was out buying break cleaner and I picked up an electronic blinker. It blinks at the regulator rate but perhaps I should get a regular one so I can tell the next time my regulator is going. I really don't think it was the cause of this problem because I get good readings at all RPMs. With the old blinker turned off I had 14.53Volts and with it on I had 13Volts at high RPMS.

Thanks for the info guys, Steve

Comment

Steve:

Sounds like you solved the problem with the new flasher unit. Regulator/rectifiers do not normally fail in that manner...if they go there is no recovery.

When car flashers work at a higher rate it usually means there is a
          lower load on the circuit. It is a built-in feature that lets you know one bulb is gone. The flash rate can vary according to voltage in the system as well. Since you have almost perfect voltage ireadings it appears the R/R is fine, but it may be that you had a poor connection between your flasher and the rest of the system, and replacing the flasher solved that.

Next ...I think we had this talk over coffee....clean up ALL your electrical connections. It is the best way to avoid problems.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X