Engine RPM @ 55-60 MPH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine RPM @ 55-60 MPH?

Finally got on the road Sat. Drove the bike to NYS inspection station. On the way there, at about 45-50, the bike felt as if it needed a 6th gear. This was the 1st time I had ridden the bike on the road, aside from being nervous, I took it easy. Bike seems to have a lot of power. As far as I know this bike is stock. What should the avg RPM at 55-60 MPH?

Thanks
    83 GS 750ED

Re: Engine RPM @ 55-60 MPH?

My 79 750E (8 valve) turns about 4800-5000 rpm at 60 mph.

Earl

Originally posted by Mister T
    Finally got on the road Sat. Drove the bike to NYS inspection station. On the way there, at about 45-50, the bike felt as if it needed a 6th gear. This was the 1st time I had ridden the bike on the road, aside from being nervous, I took it easy. Bike seems to have a lot of power. As far as I know this bike is stock. What should the avg RPM at 55-60 MPH?

Thanks
    83 GS 750ED
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Gearing...

Hi ya all:
      I have found both my Four-stroke Suzukis have needed regearing to have longer gears. It is easy to regear a your machine as well!
      All you need to do is get a new sprocket chain combination.....your present ratio might be a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 42 tooth rear sprocket.....if you change to a 16 tooth front and a 39 tooth rear your top gear RPM will be much lower and she will be easier on your nerves while cruising in top gear.
      Rick......

Comment

These bikes tend to rev a bit higher than the newer machines.

I seem to recall that my ZRX1200R is close to 100mph at 5500rpm. I ran all the way across South Dakota at that speed on I-90 and didn't see one cop. Amazing. 8)

Comment

I had a Honda 450 that RPM'd at 5000 @ 60mph. It sounded about as fast as my B&S lawnmower engine, however, my 1100 at 4000 ( about 70-75mph) sounds like it needs an extra gear. Guess it's just the nature of the beast.. :twisted:

Comment

Hi and thanks for the info. Is there a vendor that sells these kits? The bike has 50K miles, and it might be due for a change. I'm not sure if the chain and sprocket are original equipment. The manual specifies a 530 O-ring chain w/ 112 links.

Thanks

83 GS 750ED

Comment

my 79 GS550, with 6 gears, turns about 5000 RPM at 55 MPH. 5500 RPM is 65 MPH.

Comment

Re: Engine RPM @ 55-60 MPH?

Thanks
                83 GS 750ED
                Just checked my '83 750es with stock gearing(14/43) this morning coming to work and indicated speed was 14mph per 1k rpm so 60mph = approx. 4280 rpm.

Comment

Sounds about par for my '83 750ED. I'll check again to make sure.

Comment

I 1000G is at around 3900 at 60mph and feels like it is loafing along nice and smooth, it doesnt get buisy feeling till 5Krpm, or about 75mph.
                    my voyager 1300 will run 100mph all day, it seems to like running that fast. :twisted:

Comment

Speed Ratios

Hi and thanks for the info. Is there a vendor that sells these kits? The bike has 50K miles, and it might be due for a change. I'm not sure if the chain and sprocket are original equipment. The manual specifies a 530 O-ring chain w/ 112 links.

Thanks

83 GS 750ED
                      Mister T:
                      There are no 'kits' per say, you just need to look up in a manual & find out what the factory tooth count is on the front sprocket and the rear.
                      A visual count yourself on your hands and knees will confirm this.(You won't be able to count the front).
                      A tooth count increase on the front and a DECREASE on the rear will drop your top gear RPM. Most simply decrease the rear as too large a front can cause chain interference.
                      A good drop in the rear say from 42 to 35? will be a wonderful change.
                      You will probably have to remove a link or two from your chain when you make this change. A good shop can guide you as to the specifics, pricing, and other things that I may have missed.
                      Rick......

Comment

Hi and thanks for the info. I have read postings that highly recommend changing both sprockets and the chain, if replacing any one single item. It sounds like I should replace the rear sprocket with a lower number and leave the front sprocket stock. The manual says it is a 14 front and the rear is a 42.
                        The bike has 50K miles, it might be a good winter project. I'm planning to replace the front and rear wheel bearings, etc.

Comment

you should change both sprockets and chain together.
                          not relavant, but my shaft drive 82' 1100gl does 61mph at 4000rpm
                          alternate sprockets will also change the performance of your bike. depending on the power curve, it may not be as "spirited" or rev readily as you climb the gears. a passenger may make it feel like a slug too.
                          my son has a 650 85' Nighthawk (great bike) shaft drive and 6 gears. 6th according to the gear indicator is overdrive. with my wife on the back 100lbs, i can feel the differance on hills and the freeway. Its more pleasing with out the extra "bagage".

Comment

Working...
                          X