Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 gs1000E, needs Dyna, does it have a mechanical advancer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs1000E, needs Dyna, does it have a mechanical advancer?

I was wondering if anybody knew if the 1980 GS1000E had a mechanical advancer. If it does, wouldn't the Dyna III work perfectly for it? I have seen other posts here stating that people with an 80 gs1000 had the Dyna S but not the Dyna III. Also, what components would a Dyna ignition eliminate?

I know it gets rid of points......but does it also eliminate the ignitor, signal generator....what does it eliminate...?

My 1980 GS1000gl
    has a mechanical advancer on it.
    I put a Dyna S ignition on mine.
    No problemo !!!

Mo

Comment

You can also use the Dyna III,D33-2, if you have points,you lose them, and gain an ignitor box and Hall Effect sensors

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
        You can also use the Dyna III,D33-2, if you have points,you lose them, and gain an ignitor box and Hall Effect sensors

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/liquidate.htm#dyna3
        Thank you gentlemen for sharing the info, getting the bike this week hopefully. Does not run and will need to start at square one, decided to try and upgrade some electrics first thing.

I wasn't sure if the 80gs1000 had an ignitor. What's a Hall Effect Sensor?

Now for coils! Does the 80gs1000 come with a CDI system? What year did it first come on.....? I don't think the 80 does because it has points.....correct?

The coils from accel come in 2 kinds. http://www.accwhse.com/accell.htm#Coils

Motorcycles with point or electronically triggered ignitions (which should be mine correct?) get part #140403(MAW# 07284) and.....

Bikes equipped with capactive discharge ignition (CDI) use #140404 (MAW# 07302).

Any reason to use Dyna coils over Accel?

I ordered Accel #140403(MAW# 07284) for my 77gs550 to match the Dyna III I got for it. Expect to get the Dyna III and Accel coils for the 80gs1000. Exactly the same setup basically. Am I on the right track?

Comment

[quote="77gs550 Thank you gentlemen for sharing the info. I wasn't sure if the 80gs1000 had an ignitor, but it does have points. What's a Hall Effect Sensor? A smart monitor of some kind?[/quote]

no, not that sophisticated, they're just 2 small coils that sense a magnetic anomoly when the 'trigger'(ferrous metal slug) passes thru the electrical field they create when energized, replacing the points, the ignitor then amplifies this signal to ground (collapse) the primary side of the ign.coil, causing the secondary ign. coil field to discharge in a spark at the plug(hopefully), you have no ignitor either if you have points, just capacitors.

Comment

no, not that sophisticated, they're just 2 small coils that sense a magnetic anomoly when the 'trigger'(ferrous metal slug) passes thru the electrical field they create when energized, replacing the points, the ignitor then amplifies this signal to ground (collapse) the primary side of the ign.coil, causing the secondary ign. coil field to discharge in a spark at the plug(hopefully), you have no ignitor either if you have points, just capacitors.
            ...cool, was wondering how it worked......., yeah right...not that sophisticated though...

By adding the Dyna III I will be adding an ignitor and eliminating points at the same time then, right?

As for coils.....Does the 80gs1000 I have a CDI? Don't have the bike yet.....soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by 77gs550
              By adding the Dyna III I will be adding an ignitor and eliminating points at the same time then, right?

As for coils.....Does the 80gs1000 I have a CDI? Don't have the bike yet.....soon.....
              Yes, gain ignitor, lose points, no CDI if it has points. As for the coils they may be 5 ohm, which will work with a Dyna III, however you may have 3 ohm coils and a ballast resistor(to make 5 ohm), you want to eliminate the ballast resistor entirely in this case, as the 3 ohm is preferred over the 5 ohm

Comment

NO GS EVER CAME WITH A CDI ignition

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  NO GS EVER CAME WITH A CDI ignition
                  you're right, it's a transistorized module, I knew what he meant though

Comment

you want to eliminate the ballast resistor entirely in this case, as the 3 ohm is preferred over the 5 ohm
                    ...I'll have to look for that.... Thanks

Comment

Domino,

What's this about a GS1000? You don't even fill in your good old Chicago buddies? Are you trying to sneak into the big-bore club unannounced? And, the big question of course, WHERE ARE THE PICS?

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                        Domino,

What's this about a GS1000? You don't even fill in your good old Chicago buddies? Are you trying to sneak into the big-bore club unannounced? And, the big question of course, WHERE ARE THE PICS?

Joe

hehehe, I'm sneakin' a little bit but needed to find some info......you Chicago guys will be the first to feel the power...hehe. Until its in my back yard/shed, I didn't want to jinx myself though. Stupersticious... I shall know this week hopefully and believe me, you will be the first to know Joe if and when the eagle lands. Big bore club...here I come!

Comment

Working...
                        X