Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coils question after reading interesting tips and tricks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils question after reading interesting tips and tricks!

Just read the post about scavenging newer Japanese bikes for coils instead of paying $$$ for Accels or Dynas. When looking for these coils, is there an issue with whether or not my bike has a CDI or points? Also....they must be 3.0 ohms and not 5.0 correct?

I have a 77gs550 and just picked up a Dyna III which will eliminate the points. I need the coils designed for a non-CDI system......these newer bikes all have the CDI though right? Also, I am getting a 80gs1000 which I want to upgrade the coils as well. Also plan on getting A Dyna III setup....think it has points still. Any insight?

I'm seeing the 4 individual coil sets off of 2000 + bikes online. They must be 3.0 ohms right? Here are 2 sets I am eying for either bike 77gs550 and 80gs1000 ...what do you think?

TL1000R

GSXR750

Neither one will work Look for something early/ mid 90's Gsxr 600/ 750/1000 or Bandit. Those GSXR shown are coil on plug introduced in 1999?, the TLR is a V twin? IT IS ALSO RARE to find CDI on a motorcycle unless it is a two stroke. You have an Electronic ignition that is very reliable.

Comment

I am also thinking of replacing my old 78 coils, but as the bike gave me a good kick when I removed a plug lead (with what I thought was adequate insulation when doing it), perhaps the spark is ok....

I was doing this to check for a cylinder that was found to be way out of sych...

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
        I am also thinking of replacing my old 78 coils, but as the bike gave me a good kick when I removed a plug lead (with what I thought was adequate insulation when doing it), perhaps the spark is ok....

I was doing this to check for a cylinder that was found to be way out of sych...

HHmmmmm......still another who has learned that trick!

I used to do that frequently, and watch for the length and intensity of the spark, usually keeping one hand away from the car body. Then one day I installed an ultra-high output Lucas racing coil on my car. I had one hand away from the car, but leaned my legs against it. The engine was running when I pulled the wire loose and the jolt fired my hand right past my shoulder, and bounced it off the hood. Bleeding knuckles from a spark plug wire! 8O 8O

Since then, I remove the lead before starting the engine.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Dom, the 80+ GS's had electronic ignition, but they had a mechanical advancer through 81 maybe?

i would definitly do the coils...i would maybe start with that and see how it works. i think you can disconnect your CDI box, take it to a GOOD Suzuki dealer and have them test it.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
            Dom, the 80+ GS's had electronic ignition, but they had a mechanical advancer through 81 maybe?

i would definitly do the coils...i would maybe start with that and see how it works. i think you can disconnect your CDI box, take it to a GOOD Suzuki dealer and have them test it.

~Adam
            Yeah, the coils and plugs will be first. I will try and fire it with a new battery, oil change, filter.....basic stuff. About the CDI....I'm confused. Look at these posts from the other topic.

Originally posted by daveo
            Yes, gain ignitor, lose points, no CDI if it has points. As for the coils they may be 5 ohm, which will work with a Dyna III, however you may have 3 ohm coils and a ballast resistor(to make 5 ohm), you want to eliminate the ballast resistor entirely in this case, as the 3 ohm is preferred over the 5 ohm
            Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            NO GS EVER CAME WITH A CDI ignition

Comment

Just accept that Suzuki 4s use an electronic ignition and no capacitative discharge.

If you had an early model (pre 1980) you would probably have a standard points/rotor/condensor setup and then you could look at Accel or Dyno for an electronic pickup that would fit in and replace your original equipment.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                Just accept that Suzuki 4s use an electronic ignition and no capacitative discharge.

If you had an early model (pre 1980) you would probably have a standard points/rotor/condensor setup and then you could look at Accel or Dyno for an electronic pickup that would fit in and replace your original equipment.
                Rotor???? come on folks the coils fire directly to the plugs. No Dist. Cap, No Rotor. four bangers like most GS bikes fire cylinders in pairs, one is tdc compression the other is tdc exhaust, one coil per cylinder pair. My '79 GS1000L has original ignition setup and puts out over 36,000 volts at 7000 rpm. 'dont need no stinkin electronics to fry thank you.

Comment

I would not get too hung up on "rotor" being used...we all know the setup!

I have a 78 Gs1000, in fact have two sets of points plates etc. The points are ok when new, but the electronic ignition is far more stable in the advance and full advance timing settings. The points do bounce a bit and the dwell varies over time. I used a dwell meter to set the points more precisely as points gap was not much good. Having run a GT750K with three sets of points the GS is a snack.

Points do the job well, but having lived with both for many years each, electronic is the way to go if you ride more than maintain

Comment

Working...
                  X